Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Medication made GERD worse

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mando621

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:16 AM

Hi all,

Well, I thought I was making progress, my rheumatologist precribed medication to promote saliva and it was working pretty well. It is amazing to me how dry I actually am without realizing it.

Anyway, almost a week into treatment, I developed horrible heartburn and problems with my esophagus. I have hypomotility of the esophagus. I think the medicine is supposed to also promote more stomach acid as well as saliva, well it worked.

The doctor said to discontinue the medicine for saliva and he was going to investigate something from Europe that is some type of saliva stimulator that isn't medicine. ?

The medicine I'm taking is Evoxac. Haven't tried the other medicine that is similar but reading up on it sounds like it has more side effects.

Anyone else have similar reaction?

#2 betty32506

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 06:17 PM

I have been on Evoxac for 6 months and it is a big help. I had sores in my mouth and they have cleared up. I have acid reflux and take the "purple pill". I have long had problems along that line. Sometimes it is better or worse. I also eat Tums and Pepto Bismal. I have not connected that to the Evoxac. But of course there could be a connection.