Do visit our News Forum for the latest, up to date, stellar information on Scleroderma! We also have the Medical News on our sidebar on the right of the Forums' topic thread lists.

Photo

Esophageal Spasms Or Heart Palpitations?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 barefut

barefut

Platinum Member

• Bloggers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 08:54 PM

I feel a fluttering in the center of my chest but no pain.

I've felt this many years ago too. Once it felt like my heart did a slow roll inside my chest, again with no pain.

So, what is it?

Anybody else?

Thanks,
Barefut

#2 Margaret

Margaret

Senior Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 02:21 AM

Hi Barefut.....Gareth just got done wearing a heart monitor for 10 days to r/o arrythimia because he said his heart 'hurt' or his carotid artery would be 'thumping' really hard. Haven't heard anything back from the card, so I guess it wasn't anything severe. This really upsets him, but, as usual, I don't get any info from him except that it 'hurts' or it's 'thumping'. Is that how you feel? Someone mentioned awhile ago that esophageal spasms can hurt. Since G's has esoph. dismotility, I figured that is what he is feeling. I so appreciate the info you guys share.......it helps me so much with understanding Gareth.
Take care, Everyone.
Margaret

#3 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,215 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 03:26 AM

Hi Barefut,

It's my understanding (and please correct me if I'm wrong!) that if it is a mild and fleeting thing, it may be nothing to worry about. If it is stronger or recurring, you will need to check with your doctor on it.

Many people have palpitations without any underlying heart disease. Major culprits for that are coffee and stress. See our section: Arrhythmias, Palpitations, and Conduction Disturbances.

Spasms in the esophagus (throat) can also give some interesting feelings, as can any fasciculations (tiny muscle spasms or tics or twitches). Fasciculations are usually harmless and often caused by things such as caffeine, stress, magnesium deficiency or even withdrawal from some medications.

You may want to read up on palpitations and such, and of course, consult your doctor over any new or worsening symptoms (because I'm not a doctor, I have no medical training at all, and I could be wrong, I often am!).

Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#4 nan

nan

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 03:32 AM

I just had a heart roll five minutes ago or what feels like it. I asked my doctor about it this summer and he didn't seemed concerned. I still think you should ask your doctor. Mine doesn't do it all the time. I go in spurts. Sometimes it feels like my heart drops or even stops at some point. Take Care!
Nan