Congrats to Margaret, Platinum Member with 1,000 posts and 10 Years of Forums Membership!

Photo

Diffusion Capacity

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nan

nan

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 04:28 AM

I went and got copies of my PFT, echocardiogram, and xrays. On PFT it said that my diffusion capacity was mildly decreased. This is due to scleroderma? I go to my rheumatologist in March, but I was just curious.
Thanks,
Nan

#2 barefut

barefut

Platinum Member

• Bloggers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 06:02 AM

Hi Nan,

My diffusion capacity is reduced also. doctor says there is mild-moderate scarring on my lungs due to the sclero. This was diagnosed by a CT scan. He called it "glass" as I guess it looks like glass shards on my lungs on the CT image. I believe my proper diagnosis is Interstitial Lung Disease.

I of course can't speak for your doctor but just telling you what's up withme.

My doctor said my PFT/diffusion fluctuations over the past year have been minor and therefore that tells him that my lungs are stable. Minor fluctuations are nothing to worry about as it could be attributed to a different machine or different technician.

My diffusion rates have hung around between 67 - 70%. I found online information on how to read/interpret PFT's results. I will look for it again and see if I can post it here.

Be Well,
Barefut

#3 Heidi

Heidi

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 06:11 AM

Hi,

Here is the link to the thread we had on the forums a few months ago that provides the link to PFT interpretation. I think the link is in the second message in this thread.

Hope this helps,

Heidi

#4 peanut

peanut

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 06:12 AM

Hi Nan,

Speaking from personal experience, it seems that diffusion rate seems to be directly related to ILD, or pulmonary fibrosis caused by scleroderma. My pft shows worsening, so my lung doctor put me on more anti-inflammatory meds.

peanut

You can deprive the body but the soul needs chocolate
my HMO makes me wear a helmet...

#5 barefut

barefut

Platinum Member

• Bloggers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 04:45 PM

Thanks Heidi,

That's the one I was talking about. :)

Barefut

#6 susie54

susie54

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:52 AM

Hi Nan,

I had pulmonary tests yesterday because of echocardiogram recently that showed Borderline pulmonary hypertension and mild right ventricular dysfunction.So I did really well until we reached the DLCO. Escpecially the DLCO/VA dropped from 4.95 two years ago to 3.75. I know that is not bad, bad but still a drop. They also ran a BNP. So I will get all the results today or tomorrow and we will see what they want to do. My FEVI seemed to be normal. Hope you figure yours out . I am still figuring mine out. Susie54