Biomarker for Diffuse Scleroderma skin has been discovered!

Photo

General Sclero Questions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sadie20

sadie20

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 02:33 PM

Hi all. I have a few questions for those of you with more knowledge/experience with this disease. Does the actual ANA# in sclero have any indication of severity?
Also, I know that muscular/skeletal problems accompany sclero, but are shoulder problems really prevelent? Last week I was feeling so well that I shoveled snow. I felt the general aches, etc the day of and the day after. For the past 3 days though, I have had searing pain across my mid arm with particlar movements. I am not allowed to take anti-inflams due to elevated liver enyzmes, so have an appt to get a DR. to at least order an xray/MRI or what ever. Anyone else have any suggestions or experience? Thanks.

#2 americanmike

americanmike

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 06:18 PM

Hi sadie--

Here's what I remember reading from posts on the website and stories on sclero.org. Some people do have problems with their shoulders...not really common but there are stories involving pain, surgeries, etc. Also Carpal Tunnell can cause pain in the shoulder?

ANA titers and sclero severity are not as correlated as Lupus and ANA or MCTD and ANA titers (number). There are some people on this site who have sclero really bad with Negative ANA. So I guess it's not the best indicator or how bad your sclero is. I'm sure your doctor would be more concerned with your symptoms, organ involvment if any, progression, etc.

Hope you find some relief. Maybe you want to lay off the snow shoveling? Doesn't sound like the best exercise for Sclero... too cold, lots of stress on the heart, tough on joints. Yikes!

Michael In Florida
where I never have to shovel snow again :D Miss you Chicago!!!!

#3 nan

nan

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 03:57 AM

Sadie,
Recently my shoulders and upper back have really been hurting. I don't know how you shoveled snow. I agree with Michael that you shouldn't do that again. Take care and I hope you can figure out what is going on with you.
Nan

#4 Sam

Sam

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 04:14 AM

Yes it can be part of having scleroderma, I have no strength in my upper arms like I use to. And I ache from my neck on down and in certain areas, which is fibromyglia. I can't beleive you had shoveled some snow the other day. I havent done that in a long time and I will not even try. I hope your shoudler pain doesn't last too much longer. Maybe put some moist heat on it for about 10 minutes and see if that will help. Well let us know what the doctor say's take care and no more shoveling snow!!! Sam
Sam

#5 sadie20

sadie20

Senior Bronze Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:01 AM

Thanks all...as for the decision to shovel snow(not the brightest thing I've ever done), I guess I have to admit that I have not totally accepted my limitations yet. My upper and lower extremities were very weak when I was first diagnosed last fall. Over the last 2 months I've had PT for strenthening and flexability and have made myself continue the exercises on a daily basis as I need to try and go back to work. I've noticed a real improvement. Sure wish I were in Florida as we just had a snow/ice storm here in Ohio..No more shoveling for me!!