Congrats to Margaret, Platinum Member with 1,000 posts and 10 Years of Forums Membership!

Photo

Cellcept

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gigi08

gigi08

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 04:44 PM

My last visit to the rheumatologist I was taken off Humira and she wants to put me on Cellcept. I'm just not sure why this medicine and was wondering who was on it and why? My biggest complaint has been the extreme tiredness on most days and my left knee hurting me really bad at times and swelling. I do have leg and feet pain. I convinced the rheumatologist to do an x-ray and MRI of the knee and today I found out that I have osteoarthritis and a meniscus tear. Does the Cellcept help with fatigue and the aches and pains? I know we are all different but it seems in the past 2 years I have been put on one medicine and taken off for another because nothing seems to help with the aches and pains.
Gigi08

#2 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 02:42 AM

Hi Gigi08,

Your rheumatologist might have put you on Cellcept (mycophenolate mofetil) because of its good reviews in recent clinical trials for scleroderma. See the section on our main sclero.org site on Medications for Scleroderma, Arthritis, Autoimmune and Rheumatic Diseases: Cellcept.

Hopefully you are seeing a scleroderma expert, so that you can be confident in their care and recommendations. Sometimes the non-experts over-treat or under-treat the disease, and what we want is the right course of action for our particular symptoms given the stage of the disease we are in, and our particular complications.

Some of the side effects of Cellcept include: Anxiety; back pain; constipation; cough; diarrhea; dizziness; headache; loss of appetite; mild stomach pain; mild tiredness or weakness; nausea; tremor; trouble sleeping; upset stomach; vomiting. Read more: http://www.drugs.com...de-effects.html.

So, there is a chance that in some cases the medication might cause pain and tiredness, rather than relieve it, and hopefully you've had a thorough discussion with your doctor about the potential benefits, side effects, and the reason they are recommending it for you now. If you have any doubts about whether it is appropriate to treat your symptoms right now, you should get a second opinion.

Otherwise, enjoy your new treatment plan, and hope for the best!
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#3 alice1

alice1

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:59 AM

Gigi, I have been on Cellcept for 8 years. and I am in remission and have been off and on for all this time. I think I was one of the first on it and it has worked wonders for me. My doctor has tried to get me off of it but my systemic sclerosis (scleroderma) comes back with a vengeance. So I'm a lifer. It takes 8 weeks to get in your system and you should feel the pain in your joint lessening and the fatigue should get better too. Some people can't take it but you will know shortly.

Good Luck,

alice

#4 gigi08

gigi08

Senior Bronze Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:01 PM

Alice, It says to take the dose 1 hour before a meal or 2 hours after a meal. When do you take yours and do you have to take it on an empty stomach? I hope it works as well for me as it has you. Thanks for posting.

Shelley, thanks for the information. My doctor is a rheumatologist but I am really considering seeing a scleroderma doctor in Pittsburgh. I think it's time to get a second opinion.
Gigi08

#5 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:44 AM

Hi Gigi08,

See our information on scleroderma experts to find the one nearest you.
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.