Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

What are ANA pattern 2 coilin antibodies?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 akzlove

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 02:29 AM

Good Morning all,

My name is Kristi - I have just recently been diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder, unfortunately my rheumatologist appointment isn't until Sept. I already have scoliosis, fibromyalgia, fibrocystic breast disease, gallbladder removed, 6 miscarriages, 1 stillbirth, uterine fibroids - hysterectomy in 2003, IBS, chronic pain, fatigue, sciatic nerve pain, showing signs of perif nuerapathy and cranial, dry eyes/mouth and a family history of 8 Sjogren's and 3 with SLE also.

I am grateful to find this forum and was interested in finding out if any of you now what Coilin is, I wrote to the Lupus Foundation and they could not help and my general practitioner did not know what it was either. As you can see from the first titre he suspects SLE but I am feeling really lost on the other one.

ANA positive ANA titer >1:640 ANA pattern homogeneous
ANA titer 2 1:320 ANA pattern 2 coilin antibodies

Glad to meet all of you and looking forward to getting to know you.

#2 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 03:12 AM

Dear Kristi,

Welcome to Sclero Forums. In researching your questions I found several other sites where you had posted asking for information on the same thing. My guess is that you are trying to nail down your diagnosis before your rheumatology appointment, and hoping that the specific type of antibody pattern will help you do that.

Unfortunately though, that's not the way it works. If only it could be so easy! What will happen is that your doctor will diagnose based on your current symptoms. Since there is so much rheumatic disease in your family, they might even discount the positive antibodies since there are increased antibodies in relatives of patients with autoimmune diseases. However, there is also increased prevalence of autoimmune symptoms or diseases in families, as well. See: Causes of Scleroderma, Genetics and Antibodies.

What I'm trying to say is, neither you nor I will be able to predict the future or tell what your rheumatologist will make of this. Generally speaking it takes many years for diagnosis of lupus or Sjogren's, so try not to get your hopes too high for a specific diagnosis, especially in a single visit, and even with positive antibodies. See: Lupus and Sjogren's.
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.