Congrats to Margaret, Platinum Member with 1,000 posts and 10 Years of Forums Membership!

Photo

Fingernail Bed

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jaateach

jaateach

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:44 AM

Hi All,

Hope everyone is staying cool during this intense heat wave. I was wondering if anyone has had problems with their finger nails. On one finger in particular the base of the nail, where it meets the skin, I suppose that's the cuticle area, is degrading. By that I mean it is losing thickness and a ridge has formed between that area and the rest of the nail which remains normal. There is no pain. Just this area that could hold a drop of water. Just wondering if anyone has had this going on.

Thanks,

Joe

#2 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:11 AM

Hi Joe,

Fingernail and cuticle problems are extremely common in the general population of healthy people, of course. Some fingernail, cuticle or nailfold things can be indicative of underlying conditions, including scleroderma (which is of course the most unusual cause of nail irregularities, since scleroderma itself is so rare).

Anyway, for that reason, we have a section on our main site, Fingernails, Fingerprints, Nailfolds and Cuticles. Peruse those articles, and let us know what you discover in relation to your own nail issue, okay?
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#3 jaateach

jaateach

Bronze Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:05 PM

Thanks Shelley for the quick reply and the links. I'll report back what I find. Thanks Joe