Congrats to Margaret, Platinum Member with 1,000 posts and 10 Years of Forums Membership!

Photo

Bummed ( another novel, sorry! )

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 froggy

froggy

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:42 AM

Hi All. Well, I took your advice Sheryl, and called yesterday for my blood-work results. At first I thought they were back and that they were bad because the nurse said that she had to discuss them with the doctor and call me back. I was a wreck waiting. She called back about 20 minutes later saying that the results weren't in yet and that it could take up to 2 weeks. I asked her about giving me something for pain, and they offered me an anti-depressant (don't know if I can post which one, so I'll leave it at that). I had been put on anti-depressants before for chronic pain, and I know that it works for some people, but for me they make me more depressed. I told them this fact, and they said that they would just give me more of the same pain medication they had prescribed before to get me through until I see the rheumatologist next Friday.

They called today with the results and said that everything came back negative. The nurse couldn't even tell me what tests they performed because she couldn't understand the doctor's writing. I just know that the doctor told me that she was checking for scleroderma. I know that some of you never had positive blood-work and still got a diagnosis... my fear is that besides the anti-smooth muscle tissue antibodies, they will find nothing else in blood work and tests, and they'll tell me to go on anti-depressants. I have had 2 doctors tell me that I had fibromyalgia. One was several years ago, and not much was known about it. Another was just a couple of months ago and he was a neurologist (went for chronic migraines). He told me I had a "Hyper Active Nervous System". Included under this umbrella was a list of several things I do have (migraines, IBS, sensitivity to drugs, vertigo... I had everything, but depression and Fibromyalgia. He then told me that that burning and itching, and flu feeling was due to Fibromyalgia. When I went to see my primary care doctor, she did the test that the arthritis foundation does for Fibromyalgia, and I didn't have pain in any of the pressure points (when she pushed, I had no more pain), and said that she really doesn't think I have it. Ugh! Well, here's to hoping that the week ahead keeps me busy enough that I can handle everything and forget that I'm waiting for an appointment next Friday... but not so busy that I'm overwhelmed into a funk.

Sheryl, thanks again. Your grandson sounds like a cutie pie! That is a great little story! Well, I've always loved frogs and every time I get enough nerve to post something online, I think of that expression "If you're feelin' froggy, leap!" So I was feelin' froggy. I also read your bio yesterday and wanted to let you know that I still have my cosmetology license as well. I was working in a foom-foom , posh salon up until I got pregnant with the twins. I had to go on bed-rest and the rest is history. I still try and keep up with everything, and my family's hair is enough to still be considered full time!

Red, Well, I applaud you!!! I know that you had to spend countless hours just preparing and learning about how to teach your daughter. Good for both of you! Do you think you will continue through high school? Today I decided that I need to just press forward with homeschooling. If it gets to be too much, I can always do cyber school for the remainder of the year. I figure that way we won't have to deal with the stress and all that comes with being "the new kid" mid year. I was doing some shopping online earlier for some things I need for a unit study and that gave me some renewed energy. I'll spend the next week organizing it all and writing out my plans until after the new year. I did get a lot done in late spring/early summer, so it shouldn't be too much.

Thanks for reading everyone!

Peace and blessings,
~Andrea

#2 enjoytheride

enjoytheride

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:28 PM

Maybe you could ask them to give you a copy of the actual tests. I have been doing that for a couple of years now and it has helped me to understand what is going on. There are a number of places on the web to get good information on various blood tests and what they mean.
Also when I see a new doctor and they want to do a test, I can see if it has already been done. In fact I usually bring my binder of stuff with me to the doctor's.
I do wonder if the doctor's are being sincere or sarcastic when they say "My- you are orgainzed." But it does help me anyway.

#3 froggy

froggy

Senior Bronze Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:01 AM

'Ride, I gave a bullet point presentation of my history and symptoms that my primary care physician has saved for her files!! =) Who cares if they're being sarcastic, right? Often times we find out a lot more information on our own. For instance, my mother somehow came down with mono last year (at the age of 63!). It really took a toll on her. In the meantime she ended up having severe pain in her shoulders, hips and just one leg. They did more mono tests and diagnosed her with chronic mono, however, she knew that the body pain was not from mono. It got so bad that she was crawling up the steps. So I have a friend who's 85 years old, and I remembered his telling me about how he has PMR (polymyalgia rheumatica). All of his symptoms were exactly as my mother's and the only thing that helped him was prednisone. Almost simultaneously in conjunction with my thoughts of my friend, my mother went to a med-express because of severe pain in her rib cage. The med express Dr. said "You have PMR." Her primary care physician, I feel, was mad that she went there and disregarded anything the med-express Dr. said, saying "Was he even a *real* doctor?" The rheumatologist wanted to give my mom anti-depressants. Refused to give her predisone because he said that her tests didn't show inflammation and also "Prednisone is not my drug of choice." She was so miserable, went online and found a study out of Germany where 50% of PMR patients didn't show inflammation. They diagnosed them by giving them a low dose of prednisone for a week, if it worked, then they knew it was PMR. Mom took all the information to her primary care doctor. She promptly balked at the idea, then finally gave in, read the article, and to her credit, she told my mom that she had learned something that day, thanked her, and put her on a prednisone regimen. Mom feels great!

I plan on getting a copy of all the tests when I go to the rheumatologist next week. I am seeing a rheumatologst who is very new to the field. This is her fist job as a rehumatologist. Her prior job was a emergency room physician. I see this as either being really good because she will be extra cautious and covering all bases. She will have a fresh perspective untainted by a paradigm of "I've seen this before". On the other had, it could be really bad because she hasn't "seen this before." We shall see. Thanks for your input 'Ride. Peace and Blessings, ~Andrea