Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Nose Bleeds

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 scampie5

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:50 AM

I keep getting nose bleeds. I had them really bad 5 years ago and ended up in hospital. I don't know what is causing them. I do have vasculitis so wonder if it is that or pollens are high at the moment. Maybe its that I only had my nose cuaterised on Tuesday and today another bleed. Can anyone shed some light on this please? Fed up.

#2 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 02:45 AM

Hi Lynn,

I'm sorry you're getting so many nose bleeds.

I go through a series of them, from time to time. For me, they are usually caused by nose ulcers up high in the nose, most likely correlated with Sjogren's (which I also have). But I had more than a dozen of them awhile ago with no nasal ulcer that I could see, so I couldn't figure out what was inspiring them. Then I finally got around to having a growth removed from the tip of my nose, which it turned out was also a bit inside my nose, and I haven't had a bleed since and it has been months now. So I figure it had to have somehow been related to the growth, when it was developing.

The awful thing about nose bleeds is that they are often caused by people using street drugs, the kind that are inhaled through the nose, so I'm just aghast at even mentioning the issue as you can see the standard triage questions coming down the pike...do you ever use drugs, have you been physically abused, etc.

Other common culprits are taking any blood thinning medications; even a baby aspirin can trigger nose bleeds for me sometimes. Keeping a humid environment is important to prevent nose bleeds caused by air dryness. And of course you really need to put a lid on plane flights, bungee jumping, and scuba diving until you have it all under control.

Luckily I've only ever had to go to the hospital once for a nose bleed that would not settle down after hours. That one was caused by a plane flight. My ears suddenly popped and it spewed forth in the middle of Thanksgiving dinner. How embarrassing! In fact, overall, that's my reaction to the nose bleeds as they always strike with no notice, when you least expect it, the geysers can ruin your clothes, and they command the sort of attention that just makes you want to slink away or crawl under the table, in public.

I'm with you, it's easy to get fed up with them. How are things going now?
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#3 enjoytheride

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 04:53 AM

I also went through a bout of nosebleeds. I had lots of bruising too so maybe it's not the same.

Anyway, I improved with taking largish doses of vitamin D and have had less problems.

I found I was helped with using a nasal irrigation kit the doctor gave me. Since I have to feed animals twice a day, the hay dust was causing me problems. I now use the irrigation thingy after each feeding and things are better for it.

Shelley- with the nasal ulcers, do you have Raynaud's of the nose and face? I do and have been having some problem with a tender spot in my nose- I wondered if the Raynaud's was the problem too. Sorry for the hijacking.

#4 scampie5

Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 05:05 AM

Hi well I rang my general practitioner and he said he didn't want to do all of it on Monday as he didn't want me to feel to ill, however I'm having it all done tomorrow at 6pm. Ouch. And if it continues he will refer me, not sure where to though.

#5 erika

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:29 PM

I have had periods in my life when nose bleeds were regular every day. My children had those periods too while they were growing up. Meanwhile I have learned to stop it in severe cases when bleeding does not want to stop itself. Just press your nose bone with your finders from both sides to compress the blood flow. Keep it that way untill the blood in the nose coagulates. Do not touch this coagulated blood for a while to avoid bleeding again. Later you can pull it out.
This technology works and if I knew this before I would not have to take my daughter to ER in the middle of the night some 10 years ago.

To prevent dryness in the nose it is good to rinse it with "physiological water" - salty water and then put some petroleum jelly in the nostrils with ear sticks. This is also good to decrease allergy reaction to pollen and dust. There is also a spray which can be bought in the pharmacy which makes a film in the nose with the same effect.

Hope this will help somebody.