Biomarker for Diffuse Scleroderma skin has been discovered!

Photo

Does anyone have high triglycerides?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 alice1

alice1

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:56 AM

Just had confirming blood test. My triglycerides jumped from 210 to 374 in three months which is high, now another medicine. I am slim at 125 lbs. My BP is 110/60, cholesterol 153, HDL 26, LDL 52. Something doesn't add up. Anyone else having this problem?

alice

#2 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:20 AM

Hi Alice,

This is going to sound a bit odd. But when people with systemic sclerosis have high triglycerides, it is my understanding that then the thyroid function should be tested. Especially, testing for Hashimoto's thyroiditis. About half of us develop hypothyroidism, and there is something about that which can throw the triglycerides off. So, if you haven't already had full thyroid testing, including a thyroid antibody panel, this might now be your opportunity to have it done. And of course, this is something that your scleroderma expert would recognize, so be sure that you have a scleroderma expert as part of your medical team!

And please keep in mind I'm not a doctor, I have no medical training, bladda bladda bladda. I'm pretty sure we used to have an article about this on the main site, but we only keep info for a few years, and it looks like it has thus fallen off the radar screen.
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#3 alice1

alice1

Senior Bronze Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 05:07 AM

Thx Shelley...as always a wealth of knowledge. I do have hypothyroidism and take meds, he has now added Lovaza. Hope it helps my hot flashes and my triglycerides....alice