Did you know that exercise increases inflammation in systemic sclerosis?

Photo

Anyone hear of this machine?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lil Dee

Lil Dee

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:56 PM

I have had a couple of issues over the last year with an injury to my back, due to a fall at home last August '09. This required time off work, and a number of physio visits, and gradually got to a point where it was as good as I feel it's ever going to get.

I have been having problems with my achilles recently, and due to this, have been walking at a strange angle - enough to cause the issues with my back again :rolleyes:

I have contacted my physio (who I have no issue with, she was excellent) and she has a new machine, which she is hoping will help - especially with my Sclero complications. She mentioned that she now suspects my Sclero was the reason for the lengthy recovery time of my original injury, and the machine will speed this up substantially for me this time.

I was wondering if anyone has heard of this machine at all ? I have found some info on the wonderful world-wide-web, but it's either very vague, or way above my understanding!!

Any comments from you guys/gals would be very welcome.

((HUGS)) LD x :thank-you:

#2 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,275 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:58 PM

Hi Lil Dee,

I looked up the brand name you mentioned (which we had to edit out, due to the brand name guideline), and I could not find good information on it, meaning, from a top notch source other than the manufacturer. That's not to say it doesn't exist, but, like you, I found it difficult to get info on it from a place that wasn't selling it. To increase your comfort level, you might want to make sure is that your physical therapist is properly licensed and experienced, and that the therapy is covered by your medical insurance. You can also ask them for more information, such as the way in which this device was proven and it's track record. If you would be paying out of pocket for it, then you might want to get a second opinion from another clinic, beforehand, just to be on the safe side.

The key is probably the insurance coverage, because they are not likely to pay for unproven treatments. If it would be totally out of pocket, that might be a red flag.
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#3 froggy

froggy

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:29 AM

Hi, I'm sorry about your back. I have back problems as well and I know how having back pain can dominate every aspect of your life. Hope you're feeling better soon.

I did not see the name of the machine. I'm not the brightest bulb in the box, so I'm certain I'm missing it, but I've re-read your post a couple of times and can't find the name. What kind of machine is it?

Peace and blessings,
~Andrea

#4 erika

erika

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:49 AM

Hi Lil Dee,

I have bought myself electrostimulator (is this machine you are asking about) which has a lot of programs for various purposes. It has massage, TENS, fat-eliminator, microcurrents and even face and breast lifting. It has sticky electrodes and can be used also with abdominal belt. It is in the range of quality of professional devices.
I paid a lot for it (some 1000€) but I am satisfied. I do not have to go to physio every time I get pain in joints. It would be too much time wasted. I just apply it in the evening when I watch TV in my armchair.

I have heard that some special warming lamps with various lights are very good but they are even more expensive. I did not try that yet.

Wish you luck with your purchase (if any).

Erika