Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Vitamin D: modulator of the immune system

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 CraigR

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:54 AM

Vitamin D: modulator of the immune system. Several epidemiological studies have linked inadequate vitamin D levels to a higher susceptibility of immune-mediated disorders, including chronic infections and autoimmune diseases. Baeke F. (PubMed) Curr Opin Pharmacol. 2010 Aug;10(4):482-96. (Also see:Vitamin D and Autoimmunity)

This item was posted in the ISN Newsroom. Please check the newsroom daily for updates on scleroderma and other related articles.

Craig Roothoff
ISN Assistant News Guide
International Scleroderma Network(ISN)

#2 enjoytheride

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:36 PM

This is so interesting to me. When I first saw a rheumatologist, who diagnosed CREST two years ago, she checked my Vitamin D levels and they were below acceptable levels. I took a prescription of 50,000 IU per week for 8 weeks then another 4 weeks when a blood test still showed it low.

I continued taking about 5-6000 IU per day after that even though some doctors said I needed to reduce it as it could be dangerous. But if I did, my joints hurt so bad that I upped it again. 5000 IU okay - 4000 IU not okay.

My blood tests for the total D levels were okay but the ones for the 25-hydroxy only slowly crept up into normal levels.