Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Are We At Higher Risk For Cancers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Clementine

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 03:51 AM

I am just curious if we are at higher risk of getting cancers like skin, cervical etc when our immune systems are weakened. Or, if we get it, are we less likely to get well?
Oh the things that run through my mind when I've only had one cup of coffee....
Thanks and hope everyone has a great weekend.

#2 Heidi

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 05:23 AM

Hi Jennifer,

So, how does it feel to be a married woman? I hope you and your new hubby had a great wedding day.

I looked around on our Sclero A to Z website to see if I could find an answer for you, and here is a link on Cancer and Scleroderma
You will see there that it says scleroderma may be associated with an increased incidence of cancer including breast cancer, B-Cell lymphoma, lung cancer and tongue cancer. There is some interesting reading here.

I hope this helps a bit.

Warm wishes,

#3 Judy Devlin

Judy Devlin

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 11:46 PM

Two dear scleroderma sisters, one with diffuse and the other with CREST both died from complications of a cancer along with their scleroderma. Hard to know if it is a coincidence or not.

I think that it's possible to have multiple chronic diseases. When I was finally diagnosed with CREST my doctor told me that 1 in 200 people get a chronic illness in their lifetime and that scleroderma was like having 20 to 30 chronic illnesses at once. Makes sense if you break it down to all the different individual symptoms we get with scleroderma and the wide variations of this disease.
There are over 1,000 patient and caregiver stories on the main Sclero.org site.
Warm regards,

Judy Devlin
ISN Archive Committee Chair
International Scleroderma Network

#4 Guest_Sherrill_*

• Guests

Posted 20 February 2007 - 03:26 PM

Hi Jennifer,

I had a basal cell cancer above my eyebrow a few years back, which the dermatologist said was partly due to me having scleroderma and an immune system which could be better! He gave me a cream for this which he explained harnessed the body's natural defences to kill cancer cells. It worked well too.

Recently I have had two precancerous lesions on my hands for which he gave me another cream, which was different to the last one, and he said it had the substance in it which was used as chemotherapy for bowel cancer! He didn't want to operate on my skin if possible, but he said he would if he had to. But the cream worked again, so that was good!

Scleroderma doesn't leave any part of us alone does it?! :(

Warm hugs,

#5 kelowna52

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 04:14 PM

Hi Jennifer, I hope you had a terrific Wedding Day. I also had Basil Cell skin Cancer removed from my forehead and my nose. I have a regular check up done by my Dermatologist. As far as other Cancerous conditions, we would be susceptible to, I really have no idea.

Jackie S.