Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Photo

Work Safety Issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sadie20

sadie20

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:22 AM

Hey guys. I brought this topic up a couple of days ago, but am hoping to get additional response. I will be going to my rheumatologist this week to try to convince her to write a note stating I can return to work as a nurse in the hospital setting. In December, she convinced me I should never work with acutely ill people due to being on Cellcept and should "tell human resources I need an administrative job". I need to stay with the hospital I am working for as I have already earned education benefits. I guess at the time, I just accepted her opinion as the norm for immunosuppressed people. Now I am finding she is indeed overreacting. Barefut gave the example of working with daycare kids. Anyone else with any experience??? Thanks.

#2 Laura

Laura

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:56 AM

Hi,

I'm on methotrexate and plaquenil, and a times prednisone. I work in a busy medical ICU where almost all the patients are infected with C-diff, MRSA, or VRE. There is lots of respitory junk all over too. I was very afraid that once I started these meds I would get sick often. Knock on wood so far so good. I wear a mask if someone is coughing all over me. I just make sure I wash my hands well. I know cellcept is much stronger than the drugs I'm on. I just wanted you to know my experience. I also know another nurse I work with that has bad RA and is on some heavy duty meds. She told me she has never had a problem getting sick. I work full time 36 hours a week. I'm also surprised with all the open skin cracks on my hands I haven't gotten something in any of them. I wear gloves for everything, and just wash. Good luck with your appointment. Please let us know what your rheumatologist says. I hope you get to return to your job.

Take care,

Laura

#3 barefut

barefut

Platinum Member

• Bloggers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 02:56 PM

Sadie,

Copy the replies you get, especially from those who still work in hospitals and take them with you to show your rheumatologist - in case she needs extra convincing.

Good luck,
Barefut