Silica as a cause of scleroderma
Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:27 AM
Here is that word again, silica? Just what is this substance? Okay what's bothering me is that I purchased a pack of B12 vitamins today and as I was reading the contents, silica was actually in the vitamins. I'm taking them back to the store.
So now I look silica up once again on the internet and I found some information that raises a lot of concern about silica. Now what makes me really wonder is prenatal vitamins, there is silica in some of them. Why do they put those silica packets in our foods? I have found them in pre mixed salads, also in beef jerkey, etc. Some children have eaten them by accident and parents have called poison control centers.
Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:44 AM
This is a good question you raise. As it happens, the earth is made almost entirely of silica. It is in sand, dirt, gravel, cement, you name it. Many thousands of products contain silica; and it is, in general, quite harmless.
The problem with silica arises when it is in very tiny, crystalline particles and is airborne. When it is breathed in (in large quantities, over a long period of time), it can damage the lungs. Therefore lung damage by silica is most common in people like miners, or construction workers, who do not use adequate protection.
Thus your pill inserts of silica are perfectly fine. So, to the best of my knowledge, are all products that contain silica in a non-airborne form. Even if you kick up sand on the beach, you're not going to get the sort of exposure that workers do. However, if you take up a hobby like pottery, clay is made of silica so protection is a wise step to take to prevent lung damage.
For more information, see Causes of Scleroderma: Silica Exposure.
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099
The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.
Posted 13 December 2010 - 03:20 PM
Posted 13 December 2010 - 05:20 PM
There are old posts on what caused your scleroderma. One is How many of you have been in contact with this? and another, Scleroderma Causes.
We've all been exposed to so many chemicals. A couple of years before I started teaching art, the teachers were having the kids carve something called "wonder clay." Ends up it was asbestos!
No one really knows, as I've quoted before "if you lawn turns brown, do you dig up the entire yard trying to find out why or do you just treat it?" (old counselor of mine)
It's good that you're asking questions on behalf of your sister and others.