Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Nose bleeds

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 scampie5

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:04 AM

Hi Everyone

Does anyone get continuous nose bleeds? I had my nose cauterized a week ago and have had six nose bleeds since. This has been an ongoing problem; I had severe nose bleeds about 5 years ago and ended up in hospital but they have started again; not as bad as before thankfully, however they are annoying.

I had two yesterday and only sniffed; because they were so bad a few years ago I get quite panicky about them and they scare me as the blood was coming out of my nose and mouth. I wonder if there might be a underlying problem so think it will be best to ask for a referral to check, but then I'm worried that if they put a camera in my nose it might start a bleed.

I just do not know what to do.

#2 enjoytheride

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:31 PM

I understand the scariness of this. But I think I would have it checked out- if it bleeds while you are there, you will certainly be in the right place to get the problem addressed.

When you were in the hospital the last time, how did the bleeding get resolved? Did they provide any diagnosis?

#3 red

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:29 AM

Hi Lynn

Sorry to hear about your nose bleeds; they do sound very scary! You should definitely follow up with your doctor. They must have already put a scope up your nose when they did the cautery, and as ETR pointed out, your doctor will be able to deal with any bleeding during the examination. Perhaps you have multiple areas of problems, and the first cauterization missed a few spots. Also, have you had recent bloodwork done to rule out any platelet deficiency or clotting problems?

I had lots of nosebleeds when my sclero symptoms first started; certainly not as bad as yours, mine were only annoying. Always on the left side, it bled during sleep, sometimes when I exercised, and lots of times when I ate (very unappetizing, especially for my family!!)... It was the same time I developed lots of the telangiectasia on my face and nose; I always assumed there were more up my nose. Anyway, for the last couple of years they've become very infrequent, and now that I think of it, I haven't had any since I was prescribed high blood pressure medicine last Novemeber. Is your blood pressure high?

Hope they get resolved quickly,

#4 scampie5

Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:24 AM

Thanks for your help.

I went to my general practitioner today and he is going to refer me. My blood pressure is high but I do take medication for this. It doesn't always work though and just gets so annoying.

#5 NorthStarHope

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:31 AM

Hi, Lindylou

Just wanted to let you know that my sister who has diffuse scleroderma, has had constant nose bleeds. She had been to the doctors several times with this problem. Finally I do believe they have subsided. One thing I wanted to mention that her nose bleeds always seemed much worse in dry heat, such as with furnace or heater. I myself have had a bleeding nose, last year and this year, but mine were not near as bad as my sisters.

northstarhope* :emoticons-i-care:  :thank-you: