Did you know that exercise increases inflammation in systemic sclerosis?

Photo

Methotrexate Recall

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mopsygirl

mopsygirl

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:10 AM

I was told by my new Rheumatologist that the injectable form of Methotrexate was recalled a few months ago, and that as far as he knows it is still unavailable.

Can anybody confirm this or refute this? I'm a little perplexed as to why they wouldn't start production again months after the fact!

#2 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,275 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:23 PM

Hi Mopsygirl,

Here is a notice from the FDA on this issue: Sandoz initiates voluntary recall in the US of all 50mg/2mL and 250mg/10mL vials of Methotrexate Injection, USP due to the presence of glass particulates.
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#3 mopsygirl

mopsygirl

Bronze Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:54 PM

Hi Shelley, thanks for the FDA link! It doesn't say anything about whether it not it is back in production... I was going to try and call the manufacturer to find out, but they are located in Europe and I'm in the US (and overseas phone calls are expensive!)

#4 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,275 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:33 PM

Hi Mopsy,

I'm not able to find any information on its availability online. I'd suggest that you call your pharmacist and ask if/when it will be available. They only recalled certain lot numbers, and they are not listed as being a current drug shortage with the FDA, so it might be available now in some (or all) areas.

My advice for calling pharmacists is to inquire during their likeliest least busy times. If they are a 24-hour pharmacy, and you have insomnia, about 2AM is a wonderful time as you'll have their complete attention! My pharmacist adores calls after 10pm but not at all during lunch time or late afternoon, early evening. We've talked about it on here before about considering pharmacists as part of our medical team. A great pharmacist is absolutely priceless when coping with chronic illness and multiple prescriptions...if we remember to take the time to ask them all our questions.

Will you please let us know what you find out, Mopsy?
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.