Amanda Thorpe's latest blog: "It's the word that you heard but what's its meaning?" is hot off the press!! Do visit and read it......it's terrific!!

Photo

Finger Tips sore to touch

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 winnie97

winnie97

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 03:08 PM

Hi,

My list of Scleroderma symptoms seems to grow ever longer; the last few days I have noticed that my middle and ring finger on my right hand and my middle finger on the left hand are very sore to touch or if I apply pressure e.g. typing or picking something up. I have Raynaud's , do any of you think this is connected?

Back to see my consultant on 4th March.

Any ideas what it is anyone?

Regards
winnie97

#2 docmartenmom

docmartenmom

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 05:34 PM

Hi winnie97 -

That has been one of my main complaints lately too - I type all day long at my job and I have Raynaud's (among the litany of diagnoses). My fingertips - every single one of them - are tender. I have not been given a reason why yet.

Hang in there and I hope you feel better soon :-)

Lori

#3 Purr

Purr

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 06:37 PM

That's what I was told was causing the pain I was having. It's gone now, but will probably come back off and on. It was really bad on the finger I had an ulcer on. Now that it's healing there isn't a problem.

Hope the pain lessens soon. :emoticons-i-care:

Take care.

Purr :flowers:
Love makes the world go around!

#4 docmartenmom

docmartenmom

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:15 PM

Are any of you on Plaquenil/Hydroxychloroquine? I am hoping that my meds will lessen that effect - hopefully we are all just experiencing a temporary malady ~

#5 CraigR

CraigR

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:32 PM

I've been dealing with Raynaud's for 34 years. And YES finger pain is a definite problem. The pain can be extreme when ulcerated. I've had to bandage fingers with ulcers, otherwise the slightest touch is extremely painful. They make fingertip bandages that work well.

Even when not ulcerated, there can be more than normal pain on hitting the fingertips. With time, the pad on the fingertip tends to become thinner, which seems to increase sensitivity to pain.

Craig

#6 svoss

svoss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:36 PM

Hi Winnie,

I too have Raynaud's and sometimes have the tenderness of which you speak - even in absence of an ulcer. My rheumalologist gave me a topical gel that I can use in absence of ulcers. It works with my meds and offers some (but not complete) relief when the tenderness (which seems to always accompany swelling for me) comes. It may be worth asking about. Please PM me and I'll let you have details of it.

When all else fails I type lightly and use the pads of my fingers rather than the tips... more errors, more time, but able.

I hope you begin to have some relief soon .... sometimes it seems like new symptoms are falling out of the sky and landing on you. It's frustrating.

Hang in there,
SV

#7 queenie

queenie

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 02:24 PM

Hi Winnie,

I have Raynaud's and the pain you are describing in your fingers I also suffer with. Lucky for me I have not suffered with any ulcers yet! (fingers crossed) but I know how you feel; it is a tender bruised sensitive pain and it is so frustrating as you use your hands so much. The pain has reduced me to tears many, many times so I understand how you are feeling.

Take care hugs and loves :emoticon-hug: queenie

#8 KayTee

KayTee

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:54 PM

Hi Winnie:
I've had Raynaud's since birth from a missing part of the artery and was then diagnosed with scleroderma which caused very intense reactions to cold and pain in my fingertips. Even the smallest grip can be painful, and trying to open my grandson's car seat harness is an exercise in frustration for both of us. But I manage. Soft fabrics. Smooth utensils. No knives. And I ask for help.
I hear you.
Hugs.
Kay Tee

#9 Margaret

Margaret

Senior Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:22 AM

<<Are any of you on Plaquenil/Hydroxychloroquine?>>

Hi ,

My son was put on Plaquenil 9 months after first diagnosis's - he's been on it almost 4 years now. It really helped with the lung issues, vocal cords, and esophageal dismotility. Unfortunatly, he was given the Raynaud's and SICCA diagnosis last winter.

I appreciate hearing about the finger pain....I didn't know that and, of course, Gareth wouldn't be able to tell me so. I will have to watch him more closely. I suppose that is why he stopped writing in his books, though, over the past year or so. :emoticon-dont-know:
He use to sit and write *stories* for hours.

Take care, Everyone.
Margaret

#10 notlettingo

notlettingo

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:34 PM

Ya, I'm just gonna agree with everyone else. The pain is brutal! I have Raynauds as well. It came on rather suddenly while I was at work one day about 3 months ago. I have long been sensitive when I have cold water on my hands, I have always found that very painful, it sends such a sharp yet dull pain all the way up the arm. But one day I was doing my job (dietary aide) prepping vegetables etc, and all of a sudden, I thought my fingers were gonna just fall off. They were pure white! My coworker suggested I put them in warm water, oh what's happening to me they are turning purple and blue. Wow, was I freaked! They had been swelling and hurting for years, but never went white. Anyway, my point is, I have been trying to get a diagnosis for my joint pain, and headaches etc, but until the Raynaud's and my face felt numb on one side, until then, no Dr. could figure out why I was in pain and blamed it all on fibromyalgia. But this forced them to figure it out and get me on medication to help it = for that, I have to say, I am grateful! Yes, I am grateful, because that is what is finally getting a Dr. to realize, I'm not just some hypochondriac, I really do have pain, and lots of it - oh, BTW, I have Mixed Connective Tissue Disease - just diagnosed last week - suffered all my life. So, ya, I'm force to say, I'm grateful for Raynaud's.