Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Dry Mouth

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JG07

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 02:09 PM

Does anyone have dry mouth - chapped lips - Any suggestions on what to do -
I have sclero withlung involvement, sjogrens, & reynaurds

#2 Margaret

Senior Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 02:29 PM

Hi.....Gareth doesn't have dry lips as bad as the area around his mouth which is red and chapped this winter.....something that has never happened before. I have been smearing Neosporin on it after he goes to sleep since he won't tolerate lotions, smells, etc. while awake. Also, I notice two white spots under his lower lip skin.....calcifications??? Is that the way they come through?
Take care, Everyone.

#3 ssakar

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 07:44 PM

I too have Sclero with lung involvement and Raynauds.

I have a terrible time with dry/chapped/cracked lips and also the skin around my lips and nose.......and even my ears.

I have found 2 products I really think is finally helping.....one of them is a medicated lip balm and the other is another lip balm with Aloe Vera. I get them at my local pharmacy. If you need more specific information about the products-- please email me.

#4 susie54

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 01:18 AM

I have a terrible dry mouth and my rheumatologist gave some medicine that really helps stir up the saliva again. It has really helped. If you want to email me , I can tell what it is. It is a prescription. Susie54

#5 nan

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 03:56 AM

I too have Sjogren's with scleroderma. I have a prescription I use. I just cake on vaseline as needed. There is also special toothpaste, mouthwash, and gum for people with dry mouth. I will email you.

#6 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 04:07 AM

Our Sjogren's page including treatments. Biotene products are specially made for dry mouth, and are available over-the-counter in drug stores.

It's also possible to just have dry mouth, without having Sjogren's. Sometimes it is a side effect of medications. Our Xerostomia (dry mouth) section in the Dental Involvement page reads:

People with dry mouth are more likely to get periodontal disease, cavities, and dental infections. Dry mouth can also make it difficult to eat, speak, or swallow. Drink at least eight glasses of water a day, and drink water during meals to ease painful chewing and swallowing.

Increase saliva by using saliva substitutes, gargling or sipping club soda, or using sugar-free lozenges or gum. Brush and floss diligently. Avoid dry, spicy or acidic foods and tobacco and alcohol as these have a drying effect. Instead, eat foods such as gelatins, yogurt, potatoes and melons.

Use Biotene toothpaste, mouthwash, ointment, and chewing gum or similar products, which you can buy over-the-counter or on the Internet.
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#7 Sam

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 05:23 AM

I use biotene tooth paste and mouth wash and plus I take a med called Evoxac for the sjogren's. Plus I drnik lots of liquds. My lips are dry most of them time and I use lipstick or chap stick on them so I dont get them chapped. Well I would talk with your docotr to see what kind of medicine he or she can give you. it does help. Sam