Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Photo

Pregnancy/having Kids And Scleroderma/raynauds

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ssakar

ssakar

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 07:25 PM

Not that I can even get pregnant now......but I was just wondering HOW you people do it when you are pregnant (or have kids) and have Sclero/Raynaud's? I couldn't imagine trying to take care of a baby while having this disease...

I actually took care of a 2 year old for 6 days not long ago and it physically WORE ME OUT!!! My muscles/joints hurt daily so I could barely pick her up.....and my hands were flaring up with Raynaud's so it was very hard to even change her diaper - let alone try to feed her.

I really admire those of you who can do it!!!

Sakar

#2 barefut

barefut

Platinum Member

• Bloggers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:15 PM

Wow, thanks for the acknowledgement Sakar.

It's not so much how do I do the kid thing with scleroderma, as it is how I do the scleroderma thing with kids.

I probably wouldn't even get out of bed (ever! :lol: ) if it weren't for my kids. They are what keeps me going.

Again, thanks for thinking of us moms. You make me want to cry. :( And you've reminded me of a new topic I've had in the back of my mind for awhile now but I am too tired to post it now. Stay tuned.....

Love,
Barefut

#3 LisaBulman

LisaBulman

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 03:07 AM

Hi,
I was diagnosed before I had two kids. I knew I was supposed to be a mom so I went ahead and had two (with the support of my great dr.'s). Could I do it all over again? No way! I am older now and have been there and done that (sleepless nights and always on my toes). But as barefut said, it is my kids that keep me going, they help me stay positive and help me keep my whining to my self. I don't want them to know how bad I feel or how sick I am. Plus, whining doesn't really solve anything either, it would just make them worried. In January I started watching my niece, now 5 months old, just one day a week. It is such a joy and I get that "mom" feeling every week. Plus, I get to give her back so I can get my rest. :)

Hugs,
Lisa
Lisa Bulman
(Retired) ISN/SCTC List Coordinator
(Retired) ISN Sclero Forums Assistant Manager
(Retired) ISN Assistant News Guide
(Retired) ISN Fundraiser
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)

#4 Claudia-DR

Claudia-DR

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 04:16 AM

Oh man! Talk about raising kids and battling an autoimmune disease at the same time. Thanks for raising the issue.

Barefut put it nicely. I'd like to add that since we're ill we should do our best to listen to our bodies and know our limitations. For example, I really need an afternoon nap. So I don't pick up my kid from school myself. I try not to feel guilty about it but try to focus on the fact that if I'm not well rested I won't be the active Mom I'd like to be.

It's a struggle all right, but I wouldn't give up motherhood.

Best,

Claudia

#5 emmie

emmie

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 04:46 PM

This is a great topic. My hat is off to you as well, Moms!

I have often been grateful that my diseases didn't hit me full force until my girls were pretty well raised. It's the fact that I cannot be as active a "grammie" as I'd like to be that I mourn. But since the grands don't know the difference I am simply reinventing the new "grammie" as I go.

Let's give all the moms with kids at home needing care and attention and love and discipline three cheers! And now let's all get some sleep!!!

xoxo emmie