Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Photo

Choosing Between Two Lawyers

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kramer57

kramer57

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 06:26 AM

Hi everyone! I have appointments Mon. with 2 different lawyers, I'm looking for one to represent me at a disability hearing.

Are there any questions I might ask to help me choose one?

I can only think of "how many of these cases have you had and how many did you win?".

One is an RN / Lawyer, the other is a man who was described as "very good but can be brusque." so I might feel more comfortable with the nurse, but I don't want to just pick who's nicer!

Thanks,
Karen

#2 LisaBulman

LisaBulman

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 08:06 AM

Hi Karen,
You are good picking two lawyers. I just picked a disability lawyer randomly, had an appointment for about an hour(he didn't even know what sclero was), he filed my papers and the judge approved it before I even had a hearing. He got his check and I never saw him again. I guess it was just luck of the draw for me with the lawyer and the judge.

Sorry I can't be of any real help, but hopefully someone else will jump here with some info for you. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Hugs,
Lisa
Lisa Bulman
(Retired) ISN/SCTC List Coordinator
(Retired) ISN Sclero Forums Assistant Manager
(Retired) ISN Assistant News Guide
(Retired) ISN Fundraiser
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)

#3 nan

nan

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 08:36 AM

I wish you luck. I didn't use a lawyer. At first I was denied, but I appealed it and got it. I don't have any pointers to give you. Sorry.
Nan

#4 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 08:43 AM

How about, have you ever heard of scleroderma?

That in itself can be a show stopper. Or at least, an appreciable pause in the conversation.
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#5 Sam

Sam

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 10:28 AM

Make sure they are a disability lawery and if heor she has heard of Scleroderma. My lawery has heard of scleroderma and won many cases. His father was a disability judge. I hope all goes well for you make sure you write and get all the medicals records you can for them. I would say you will be there for awhile getting things organzied.

I hope yours won't take as long as mine is. Good luck!!! Sam
Sam

#6 memeto2

memeto2

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 11:05 AM

i would definitly(sp?) go with the lawyer who is a nurse,if she is in the medical field she can better speak on your behalf.good luck!!!!! take care memeto2

#7 whirlway

whirlway

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 03:47 PM

Karen, Make sure the lawyer specializes in disability cases and that they know what sclero is. Also, make sure they get paid on a contingency basis, if you win he gets paid, if you lose, he gets nothing. I went to an att. after I was denied the first time. He greatly encouraged me to appeal the denial, which I did, and was denied again. Then he went to work for me, filed all the paper work, got the court hearing, went to court with me and we won. Most disability lawyers won't take a case unless they are pretty sure they can win. They like getting paid :D .
Good luck. Let us know how everything turns out.
~whirlway

#8 kramer57

kramer57

Senior Bronze Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 02:10 AM

Thanks everyone! The nurse lawyer mentioned in her email to me that she sometimes uses an expert witness whose mom has Sclero so she is familiar with it. I will definitely ask both of them if they've won cases for anyone with Scleroderma, good idea!

The man lawyer is highly recommended by a retired medical social worker my mom knows. She said the lawyer has done over 1000 disability cases and really knows his stuff. He sounds really good but he already has an appointment the morning of my hearing, so he wasn't even sure he could be there but agreed to meet me anyway.

This is my 2nd hearing. The first hearing, I ended up with a kind of random lawyer like Lisa did- I met one who turned me down and referred me to another one, who agreed to take my case over the phone; he didn't even meet me until the morning of the hearing! So hopefully this time will go better - I think whichever I choose will be better than the other lawyer I had!

Thanks,
Karen

#9 kramer57

kramer57

Senior Bronze Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 01:45 AM

I decided to go with the man, not the nurse. He looked up Scleroderma in a Social Security Law book, asked me some questions about my symptoms, and I must have given the right answers, because then he whipped out the fee agreement (no money up front, only if I win) and I signed with him.

The thing I didn't like about the nurse was, she kept saying how difficult it would be to win because of my age (35)- as if she was already preparing me to lose! My lawyer didn't say anything about it being difficult because of my age; he was going by what symptoms I have and what the law book said, and he seemed more confident. So now I have a lawyer and I won't have to go to the hearing alone!!! Yahoo! :D

Karen