Congrats to Margaret, Platinum Member with 1,000 posts and 10 Years of Forums Membership!

Photo

Brand Name Salagen No Longer Made?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JustME

JustME

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:20 PM

Hi,

Is there anyone that is taking Salagen (brand name) for Sjogren's? I tried to get it from my pharmacy but they said it is not being made anymore. Has anyone else been told the same thing? I was previously taking generic Pilocarpine but awhile back when they changed manufacturers it stopped working for me. Has anyone received any Salagen brand name in the last month? I just couldn't find info about it anywhere and I just want to make sure my pharmacy and/or doctor just doesn't want to do the pre approval paperwork.

Thanks!

#2 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:26 AM

Hi akchrist,

I may be wrong (I often am!) but it does look as though Salagen is no longer available.

The generic of it, pilocarpine hydrochloride, is available from several different manufactures, though. So perhaps you could try a different manufacturer?

Also keep in mind that you may just gotten a bad batch or not stored it properly. They are supposed to be stored only at 68° to 77°F. So if they were kept too cold or too hot (either during shipment or at your home), they may have lost their potency -- especially since that is a very narrow window for temperature. So it may be worth trying it again, even if its from the same manufacturer, and being ultra careful about storing it.

Please let us know what you find out, and how things work for you, okay?
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#3 Jalee85

Jalee85

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:55 PM

I take the Pilocarpine. I am on Medicaid so I don't get an option if there is a generic available. But my guess is if you try a different manufacturer, like it was suggested above, you may have better luck. I had to do that with the generic Ambien.

Jalee

#4 amberjolie

amberjolie

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:37 PM

A while back my pharmacist had mentioned Salagen was going to be no longer manufactured, and apparently in Canada, there's no generic version (although he figured someone would manufacture it sooner or later as generic). In my case it was okay, because I had stopped taking it (had lost my job and hence my benefits, so I cut out the medications that I thought I could), and so far even though my mouth is dry, I haven't felt a massive need to go back on it.

Sounds like I wouldn't be able to, even if I wanted to.