Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

How To Get Out Of Depression

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kamlesh

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 12:06 PM

I am still having depression and looking into getting some relief. I have pychiatrists as well as psychologist, but little help so far. Have started to impact my job performance. I feel swollen eyes, headaches, and as if my brain is completely numb. I take 20 mg paxil a day for depression and 30 mg Temazepam (Restoril) for sleeping.

Any suggestions?

Kind regards,

#2 nan

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:14 PM

I am so sorry that you are so depressed. I take 50mg. Zoloft and I am on 30mg. of amitriptyline. It does right well. I have been a bit depressed lately too. I think I am snapping out of it. What do your doctors say?

Take care,

#3 Clementine

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 03:13 PM

I am sorry to hear you are suffering depression. How long have you been diagnosed? I suffered from depression for the first year but now after two, I am doing so much better as far as depression goes. I tried two antidepressants and I could not tell a difference and they also messed with my body too much....GI problems, forgetful, ditzy, sleepy...so I gave up. Now, I take anxiety medicine, which I know is probably not the best remedy, but it does work for me and I figure the good out weighs the bad.

There are so many different medications to treat depression and finding the one that works with your chemistry can be tough. My husband finally found relief with Effexor. I have a dear friend who has tried several different meds and different combinations and has finally found one that suits him.

I hope you are getting support from your friends and family.
Take Care,

#4 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 03:44 PM

Hi Kamlesh,

Some people seem to have some relief with what is called Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, usually in conjuction with the usual treatments. You may want to ask your doctors whether that would be suitable for you, or not.

I've had a friend who seemed to benefit a lot, just by reading a few books on the subject. Perhaps you could read about it, and give it a whirl.

As I understand it, it's not just "positive thinking". I'd bet most people wouldn't have ever gotten depressed in the first place, if it was as simple as that. But it does entail learning how to react differently and rephrase some aspects of self-talk. Think of it more as learning how to make the very best of a very bad situation, rather than pretending that it's not there in the first place; and learning how to accept (not fight) certain unavoidable symptoms.

And I hasten to add that I'm not a doctor, I have no training in mental health issues, and in general, this is something that we are just not well-prepared to render advice on. Please let your primary care doctor know your concerns and ask them what more you can do. Sometimes it takes a lot of patience and different medications before a satisfactory result is achieved.

My thoughts and best wishes will be with you.
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.