Have you seen Barefut's latest blog: "My Scleroderma and Depression Stole My Son." yet? Do visit and read it.....it's terrific!!

Photo

Burning Pain In Fingertips

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kiwimum03

kiwimum03

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 03:07 PM

Just a quick question, for the last few days I have had a burning sensation in the pads for a few fingers, mostly on my left hand.
It feels like I have burnt myself on something hot and the burning pain is lingering, only I haven't burnt myself.
I do have mild carpal tunnel and often get tingling in my fingers, but this burn pain is new and very annoying and sometimes hurts alot.

I do not have Raynauds yet. Although my fingers do hurt when I pull things out of the freezer, almost like ice burn pain, if that makes sense and I do have a couple of fingertips that go white, but only for a few seconds before going red.

I knows its not a serious problem but it is very annoying when I type or even just sitting watching tv I can feel the burn in my finger pads.

Any ideas?
hugs,
Irene

#2 Heidi

Heidi

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 04:03 PM

Hi Irene,

I don't have any specific answers for you, but wanted to let you know that I have frequently experienced the same thing. Everytime it happens, I think, "oh, oh, here comes the skin hardening". But, just like all my other symptoms, it comes and goes without any rhyme or reason.

Warm wishes,
Heidi

#3 Guest_Sherrill_*

Guest_Sherrill_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2007 - 05:18 PM

Hi Irene,

I had that for some time before and after I was diagnosed. I had it in all my fingertips and thumbs, and it was so sore I went round the house putting foam plastic strips on sliding door handles and some other places too, because it hurt to open the doors!

I also bought a sheepskin steering wheel cover for driving, as it hurt to touch the bare steering wheel. By this time my whole hands were hurting, and I hope your hands don't do this.

I also took to wearing very soft gloves for doing many chores, and always rubber gloves for wet chores.

But like Heidi, I can't give any specific reason. The doctors just sort of look at you when you say anything, and don't have an answer. :huh:

I *think* it's probably something to do with Raynaud's, but how I don't really know.

Warm hugs,

#4 kiwimum03

kiwimum03

Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 08:55 PM

Thanks Heidi and Sherrill,

it have gotten progressively worse as the day has gone on, mostly in one finger now, and I have found myself not usually that finger without thinking.

i will just have to keep and eye on it and write it in my diary for future notes.

hugs,
Irene

#5 Margaret

Margaret

Senior Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 01:47 AM

Hi Irene ,

That is interesting to me. Gareth will show me the tip of his finger (pad side) and say 'sunburn'. I always look and never see anything. I have never seen his finders turn white, although he always has cold hands.

Take care, Everyone.
Margaret

#6 RememberingToSmile

RememberingToSmile

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 02:06 AM

Irene,

I think I know exactly what you are describing...

I can be sitting reading and suddenly startled by the burning sensation, usually in my right index finger where I had a early ulcer activity. It always takes me by surprise and can be quite painful. For me, though, it only lasts 5-10 seconds at a time and only happens a couple times a week. The sensation is different from the initial carpal-tunnel symptoms I had when this all started a year ago, and I have assumed its related to both nerve and Raynauds issues.

BTW - I am a year into my diffuse Scl / overlap with myositis diagnosis. I have significant Raynauds now. My skin issues are coming under control with meds. GI issues are progressing, but other organs still fine.

The prescribed meds have helped me through most my symptoms.

Subjectively, though, the prescribed physical therapy exercises to improve circulation to my arms and joint/tendon range of motion have helped to keep this and other nerve/joint symptoms under control. I know I am fortunate that meds/exercise are helping me get through this.

Please let me know how it progresses.

-RTS

#7 kiwimum03

kiwimum03

Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 12:26 PM

Hi Margaret and RTS,

it is really good to hear your experiences with this, at least I am not alone (but it is unfortunate that we have this problem) I guess misery loves company, heh!

The burning has continued, and now my fingers are very puffy and swollen although my knuckles are not. I am wondering if the Prednisone I started on Tuesday is causing the swelling, if it continues I will see my doctor, not that I think they can do anything.

Hugs,
Irene

#8 bookworm

bookworm

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:35 AM

Hi Irene,

I have Raynauds, but I don't usually have the burning you are describing, although I have had it occasionally -- especially if I handle ice or something from the freezer. However, you describe a couple of fingertips going white and then going red, and I would have said that is Raynauds! Be sure to tell your doctor about the colors!

My only advice to you is to try to keep your hands warm! In fact, try to keep your whole self warm! I don't have to stick my hands in the freezer to experience Raynauds symptoms! A breeze can blow across the back of my neck and my hands will start changing colors!

I try to get a pot holder or something when I have to get something out of the freezer. Better still, if possible, is to get someone else to get food out of the freezer!

Mary in Texas

#9 scampie5

scampie5

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:44 AM

Hi also get pain in my finger tips but this is due to the raynalds more so when I get cold or go to the freezer or touch any thing cold I havnt had this for a while as I seem to now the triggers of it hope this helps Lynn