Congrats to Margaret, Platinum Member with 1,000 posts and 10 Years of Forums Membership!

Photo

Sclero And Sickness

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 summer

summer

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 03:48 PM

Hello to all,
Just had a thought the other day are we more prone to getting the Flu, Colds etc?
I'm not on any meds at the moment and woke up this morning with a cold, headache and sore throat :( .
I would think that my immune system is so out of control that it would prevent me from getting sick with these ailments. Maybe I've got it wrong!

Kind regards
Celia :unsure:

#2 Sam

Sam

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:31 AM

No you can still get the common cold and other stiff while having sclero. Sam
Sam

#3 WestCoast1

WestCoast1

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 04:22 AM

Ced,
Sorry to hear that you have caught the dreaded cold. You would think that with our wacky immune system we could avoid the cold, but yes we can still get one.

I make sure not to take any "immune boosters" to avoid colds because it only makes an overactive immune system worse, but some old fashioned Vit. C, rest and chicken soup are the best things for a cold in our case.

Get well soon.
*WestCoast*

#4 RememberingToSmile

RememberingToSmile

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 04:56 AM

Celia, Sorry that you've caught a bug - take care and don't forget to use a humidifier....

I've been on immunosuppressents, but I've rarely caught any colds over the past year. But then, I've been much more vigilant with washing my hands and keeping clear of others with cold symptoms.

I too wonder if there are any studies done on whether an overactive immune system affects ability to ward off cold viruses.

-RTS

#5 Clementine

Clementine

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 07:58 AM

Before I was diagnosed with Scleroderma and before I was on an immunosupressant, I had colds all the time. Now that I am on immunosupressants, no longer a public servant and get a flu shot, I am never sick! There are so many factors with me, it's hard to determine.

May you stay as well as you can...
Jennifer

#6 monika

monika

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 01:44 PM

Hi Celia

Maybe I have understood the whole immuno supressant theory. I would have thought that because we are supressing our immune systems we would be more prone to catching colds, flus and viruses? I've been told by my doctors to try and avoid people who are sick to minimise the risk of catching.

Hope you are feeling better.
Monika.