Do visit our News Forum for the latest, up to date, stellar information on Scleroderma! We also have the Medical News on our sidebar on the right of the Forums' topic thread lists.

Photo

The significance of palpable tendon friction rubs (TFR's) in early diffuse cutaneous systemic sclerosis (Ssc).

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Joelf

Joelf

Diamond Member

• ISN Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,487 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:18 PM

The significance of palpable tendon friction rubs (TFR's) in early diffuse cutaneous systemic sclerosis (Ssc).

Patients with early diffuse SSc having one or more TFRs are at increased risk of developing renal, cardiac and gastrointestinal involvement before and after their first Scleroderma Center visit, and have reduced survival so should be carefully monitored for serious internal organ involvement. Pub Med Arthritis Care Res. 2013 Jan 31. (Also see: Diffuse Scleroderma, Skeletal Involvement, Systemic Sclerosis: Prognosis and Mortality)

This item was posted in the ISN Newsroom. Please check the newsroom daily for updates on scleroderma and other related articles.

Jo Frowde
ISN Sclero Forums Manager
ISN News Manager

ISN Chat Host
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)

#2 Margaret

Margaret

Senior Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:58 PM

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have these tendon rubs and,  if so, are they painful?  Gareth is constantly complaining about his legs, hands, and arms hurting but the doc says it's not arthritis because there's never any inflammation/warmth in the joints.  Just curious....I had never heard of these before.

Thanks,

Margaret

#3 miocean

miocean

Senior Gold Member

• Members
  • 801 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:59 PM

I had tendon friction rubs in my hands and my feet for a few years. As many of you know, I had a sudden onset case of diffuse with immediate end stage renal disease so they did not start years prior.

You could hear the sound of my tendons when I moved my ankles and wrists. It's hard to describe the sound, not quite a creaking or very loud, as the tendons are rubbing against each other. After years of physical and occupational therapy they went away. They were not painful.

Margaret, many medications can cause muscle aches. Statins caused me a lot of pain. Most of my medications say they may cause muscle aches and fatigue as well as a host of other things.

Always something with sclero!

miocean
ISN Artist

#4 Margaret

Margaret

Senior Gold Member

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:31 AM

Morning Miocean ,

Thank you for that information.  I do not hear anything when he moves his knees, wrists, etc.   My concern began after reading it was associated with kidney failure and Gareth has the positive Anti-RNA Polymerase 1/111.

You all are a wealth of information for me....it is so appreciated!!  :you-rock:

Take care, Everyone.

Margaret

:emoticons-group-hug: