Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Photo

Obstructive Lung Disease/restrictive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Clementine

Clementine

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 03:46 PM

Heidi...
I just read that you have obstructive lung disease. I was wondering how common it was to have obstructive rather than restrictive when caused by sclero, which is what I have. Do inhalers help you then? You are the first person I've heard about that has the opposite.
xo
Jennifer

#2 susie54

susie54

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 02:39 AM

I would like to jump in here and say that I also have obstructive lung disease. I was also asking Heidi about it because she is the first like me that I have heard come up with it. Inhalers help me a little. I have mild obstructive disease and DLCO went from 85% to 75% this year. That is when the echo test showed borderline PH. Doctors don't understand how it relates because they look for restrictive. That is why I was wondering if anyone else had this with MCTD or SSC?Susie54

#3 Heidi

Heidi

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 03:49 AM

Hi,

On my PFT test (both this past September and 2 years ago), in the interpretation section it says "Mild Obstructive Lung Disease", and one of my numbers (I can't remember which air flow number it is, but it is not the DLCO) is around 52%. My DLCO is good, however. When I had my first PFT and saw that it said this, the gal that did the test said that I might want to use an inhaler, but she knew my particular rheumatolgoist didn't ever want his patients using them. My general practitioner had me try one for a short period and it made me so shaky and anxious (like I had drank a pot of really strong coffee), that I didn't keep using it. I also asked the gal who did the PFT test if the mild obstructive lung disease was related to my UDCT and she said she couldn't answer that. Because it is mild, and I only have difficulty breathing sometimes (like when it is very humid), none of my doctors have seemed concerned and none of them have linked it with the UDCT. I do find it surprisingly coincidental that it started about 2 years after my diagnosis of UDCT. So.......who knows???

Sorry, I didn't really answer your questions.

Warm wishes,
Heidi

#4 Clementine

Clementine

Gold Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 04:11 AM

Interesting. I've used an inhaler before and after a PFT to see if they helped with restrictive but they did not. My first DR. prescribed them for me but I know longer see that DR....

The inhalers made me feel the way you described too. I was wondering myself if your lung issues were not related to scleroderma. I'd be curious to know. My husband has asthma (obstructive) and he has to use his inhaler. I know nothing about obstructive diseases with sclero so I'll just keep my mouth shut. :)

######, last August when I lived down south, I could not even leave my house and the air conditioning due to the humidity.

My DLCO is what is really low...it stays around the 48% mark.

I hope everyone has a nice and stress free Sunday.
xo
Jennifer

#5 susie54

susie54

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 05:38 AM

Could be Jenifer that I have a combination of things going on. I don't know yet but my FEV and FEV1 are in the 100's and the FEV/FEV1 ratio is 95% so I am in good standing there. Maybe an asthmatic component. Susie54

#6 peanut

peanut

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 08:26 PM

Hey Jen,
Mine says severe obstruction. *sigh*
What's the difference between obstruction and restriction?

peanut

You can deprive the body but the soul needs chocolate
my HMO makes me wear a helmet...