Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Photo

Strange Little Bumps

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jordan's Mommy

Jordan's Mommy

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 12:48 PM

Hi All,

My 6 year old has little tiny bumps on her back and arms--like a mini case of the goosebumps. This is the second time in 2 months she has gotten them. Her dermatologist thought it might be a virus, as she has been prone to viral skin reactions in the past. I thought it could have been from strawberries (she was allergic as a baby--I thought she had outgrown it--but they're still there even after 2 weeks of no berries). Could it be a reaction to her Plaquenil? She is on a generic form of it, and her pharmacy recently changed manufacturers of her pill. They don't hurt, are clear in color, and they just make her skin a little rough. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jennifer

#2 Heidi

Heidi

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 01:59 PM

Hi Jennifer,

That sounds a bit like what happens to me when I go out in the sun without protection.....and it started after I started taking Plaquenil. My understanding is that Plaquenil (or the generic) can make one susceptible to sun rashes. I know that I have to use a very strong sun screen now when I am out in the sun or I get that rash.

Warm wishes,
Heidi

#3 Jordan's Mommy

Jordan's Mommy

Senior Bronze Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:14 PM

My daughter's rheumatologist did tell me about sun rashes. It's just strange that the bumps are on areas of her body that are covered up! I washed sunscreen into her clothing last summer--I think I might need to do it again, though.

Thanks,
Jennifer

#4 emmie

emmie

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 05:26 PM

Hi,

I don't know if this will help but with adults who have sensitivities, they often do much better with brand name Plaquenil rather than the generic.

I am one of them!

xoxo emmie

#5 Heidi

Heidi

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 01:27 AM

Hi Jennifer,

I am really curious about what you wrote...how do you wash sunscreen into clothing?? I have very fair skin and have to be very careful, but absolutely love being in the sun! This sounds like something that maybe helpful for me as well. Thanks!

Warm wishes,
Heidi

#6 Jordan's Mommy

Jordan's Mommy

Senior Bronze Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:01 AM

You can buy packets of "powdered" sunscreen that you toss into your washer. It lasts for many many washes and doesn't damage your clothing. There is only one company that makes it, and I have only found it online. I can't mention the name here, but it is the same company that makes tye-dye materials. If you can't find it, I will send you a private message with the name. My daughter's dermatologist was the one who told me about it.

Jennifer

#7 Heidi

Heidi

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 06:22 AM

Thanks Jennifer! I will look into it.

Warm wishes,
Heidi

#8 emmie

emmie

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:23 PM

Heidi,

There is also clothing that is made with spf factor "built in". Do a google search and I'm sure you will turn something up. (of course my memory is of no use, lol!)

xoxo emmie

#9 Heidi

Heidi

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 01:06 AM

Thanks Emmie,

I will look into it!

Warm wishes,
Heidi