Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

SSDI Medicare and spouses private medical insurance

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fragiledancer2

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:52 PM

I am applying for SSDI, I've had Diffuse Scleroderma for many years. My question. After 24 months on SSDI you can go on Medicare. My spouse has great health insurance which I am on. Will that insurance no longer keep me on if I am on Medicare? They pay for many more drugs then Medicare would not approve (through appeals) so it's quite important. Thanks.

#2 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:05 PM

Hi Fragiledancer,

I'm sorry you've had scleroderma so long and that you are now facing disability. That is never an easy position to be in.

Here is a link about Medicare Part D and other health insurance, as it sounds your concern is mostly about medication coverage.

Does that help any?

Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#3 miocean

Senior Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:41 PM

Dear Fragile Dancer,
Social Security is very helpful in answering questions so to get a definitive answer, call your local office.

I went on Medicare due to disability and was able to keep my insurance from my job as secondary coverage. My spouse went on Medicare due to age and stayed on my policy for secondary insurance. We are very fortunate because that gives us both great insurance. I would think that you would be able to have both also but call to be sure.

I wish everyone had great insurance and no one had scleroderma!

ISN Artist

#4 Kathy D

Kathy D

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:48 PM

I was in the same situation.  I had my personal employer paid insurance for most my life and when I quite working I joined my spouses plan.  I remained on my spouses excellent employer coverarge for several years until he changed jobs and went to self pay insurance.  My health insurance then became quite expensive so I joined medicare with an advantage plan.  I had less expensive tests with employer insurance.

I want to caution you though, there is some sort of clause that if you turn down medicare when offered, one of the associated costs increases, or a penalty or something if you decline and then decide to join after the offer period.  Sorry I don't remember exactly but look into that.

My medications on Medicare D plus my advantage +rx plan are affordable.  I have common autoimmune meds like prednisone and plaquenil.  What hurts our wallet is my name brand meds, such as my preferred GERD meds and migraine meds.

I moved to a different state last year and have a new medicare advantage plan that is less expensive than my previous state.  Interesting!

Good Luck, let us know which you choose!

Diffuse Scleroderma Diagnosed March 2009