Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Photo

Rx For Oxygen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Clementine

Clementine

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 09:24 AM

Hello!
Does anyone know why a rheumatologist won't write prescriptions for oxygen? Mine won't write them for anyone, not just me, and he is the dr. that has me on the oxygen in the first place and the Dr. that reads my PFTs. He told me I would be on it long term (forever) but I have to go through my pulmonologist (whom he works closely with) or primary care physician for the prescription. My curiosity is piqued because I've been dealing with this silly RX for over a month now.
There must be some liability issue that I am unaware of.
xoOX
Jennifer

#2 Heidi

Heidi

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 09:53 AM

Hey Jennifer,

Did you ask your rheumatologist why not? That is what I would do if I were you.

Warm wishes,
Heidi

#3 Clementine

Clementine

Gold Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 10:37 AM

Heidi,
Yes, I'll ask the DR. at my appt. in a few weeks. I just spoke to the nurse and she didn't get into it with me, just told me he did not write them, and I already felt like a nuisance since it's not the first time I've called about this subject.

I just thought someone on the forum would have a quick answer.
Jen

#4 Gi Gi

Gi Gi

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 01:19 PM

It does not make sense to me, but most of the people that I know that ARE on 02 see a pulmonologist. It's their specialty. Just because the rheumatologist may know you should be on the 02 he may not feel qualified to regulate it and perform all of the testings required....just a thought.
Your Friend,

Gi Gi

#5 Clementine

Clementine

Gold Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:16 AM

Hey, I finally got an RX for oxygen, just had to schedule an echo in order to get it. At least I can breathe....
Jen

#6 Heidi

Heidi

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:43 AM

Hi Jen!

Yeah! I am so glad you finally got the RX....but I still think it is bizarre that the doctor who prescribed it (your rheumatologist) wouldn't actually write the script for it. I will be curious to know what he tells you when you next see him and ask why he can't write the script.

Warm wishes,
Heidi