Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Photo

Right Heart Catherization

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JG07

JG07

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 10:08 AM

Had an appointment at U.M. Pulmonology yesterday. They are suggesting a right heart catherization to measure pressure. After wearing a Holter monitor last week my heart rate was very erratic and at some points over 140 at rest. Has anyone had the procedure? If so, how has the PAH been managed?

#2 Gi Gi

Gi Gi

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 02:56 PM

Hi,

I have not had this done, but I know many here have. So I'm sure you will hear from someone that has experience with it. I just wanted you to know I'm sorry you have to go through this. *hugs* I hope things turn out fine. :)
Your Friend,

Gi Gi

#3 summer

summer

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 07:58 PM

Hi JG07,

I haven't experienced a Right Heat Cath but have seen some info in some of the older posts you might want to look at. Good luck.

Kind Regards,

Celia

#4 Heidi

Heidi

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 01:53 AM

Hi!

I am sorry that your heart rate is being so erratic. I don't have any personal experience with a heart cathertization, but here is a link to a previous discussion about using a right heart cathertization to diagnose PAH.

Here is another link....this one is to the page from the Sclero A to Z website that talks about different treatments for PAH.

I hope you find this helpful and please do keep us posted on how it goes and what you learn.

Warm wishes,

Heidi

#5 Patty

Patty

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 02:25 AM

Hi I had the right and left cath done. It showed that I did not have PAH but that I had diastolic dysfunction, meaning that my left side is getting stiff. I strongly suggest that anyone having a right done should also talk to Dr b4 had about doing the left side also. Had my Dr not done it, I would have not know and not gotten the right treatment for it b4 it was too late.

As for the test itself, it was easy, the after test is the hard part. You have to lay on your back for a few hours. When you leave the hospital you just need to take it easy for a day or so but its not painful at all. I could not tell I had anything done pain wise. ( I had it done through the groin area)

Good luck and please let us know how it goes.

Hugs,
Patty

If Life hands you lemons, make lemonade.

Hashimoto's thyroiditis, Limited scleroderma, Dermatomyositis. Diastolic Dysfunction, dysphagia, Fibro, restless leg. Lupus is a maybe.