Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Photo

Elevated Skin Temperature

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 oddone

oddone

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 02:15 AM

Just wondering if anyone has any research information on elevated skin temperatures?
DH with raynauds (cold hands and feet) but torso hot to the touch. No fever present. Anyone have this happen to them? Thanks
Oddone - Spouse - 38 yr old Husband diagnosed October 2006, Diffuse Systemic Scleroderma
Normal PFT(July 06), ECG(Nov/06)

#2 TJ903

TJ903

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 04:54 AM

Oddone

Never heard of this, but if anyone can get an answer it's ths forum. Sorry you're having this kind of discomfort added on to all of your other concerns. I'll keep my ears open and my eye peeled for any info for you.

TJ903

#3 peanut

peanut

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 05:34 AM

My skin feels hot all the time but when I take my temperature I have no fever. My hubby calls me a furnace. I’ve noticed that it really happens when I eat candy, dairy or what I like to call inflammatory foods. Thus, I figure it’s the inflammation flaring up but I have no medical backing for that assumption.

You can deprive the body but the soul needs chocolate
my HMO makes me wear a helmet...

#4 nan

nan

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:09 AM

I don't know why but I do the same thing. Today I was sitting on the sofa shivering because my hands were freezing and I was so hot! No fever though.
Nan

#5 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:37 AM

I don't know the answer to this one at all. My skin generally runs cold all over; and my husband's skin temperature is always warm and often very hot. We hold hands a lot -- as an instant "cure" for my attacks of Raynaud's.

I've never thought of skin temperature changes or differences as being either good or bad, but rather as a natural variance.

But, of course, I have no medical training at all, and I do not know the physiological reasons for variance, or whether it would ever be a symptom that would require a medical consultation. The only exceptions I can think of would be when there is inflammation going on, such as with a pulled muscle, broken bone, skin inflammation, infection, etc., in which case I'd think there would be other symptoms as well.

It does seem like it would be more natural for the greatest heat to be near the heart, though, because the body puts a priority on keeping the heart and brain warm, and will not hesitate to spare circulation from the extremeties in order to do that.
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#6 MaryFanPhilly

MaryFanPhilly

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:47 AM

Hello Folks,
My skin in certain places is very red and warm to the touch, for instance the crook of my arms and legs. My rheumatologist always checks those spots and uses it as a marker for the degree of inflammation and activity of the disease (I have diffuse.)
I have also noticed that the redder and more inflamed my skin, the itchier I am, which he also uses as a marker for disease activity.
Additionally, I might be freezing (as you all mention!) but my FEET are burning, so they seem to always be hanging out of my blankets. My family laughs at me!
Just my two cents!
Mary
Diffuse sclero; diabetes; hypertension; GERD with Barrett's

#7 oddone

oddone

Senior Bronze Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 03:37 AM

Thanks for the replies, in the back of my mind, I was thinking that the heat does indicate the disease or inflammation activity. Its hard to know with no other symptoms, and as such, whether to be worried about it. Whether it would be a reason to contact the rheumatologist or not.
Oddone - Spouse - 38 yr old Husband diagnosed October 2006, Diffuse Systemic Scleroderma
Normal PFT(July 06), ECG(Nov/06)

#8 peanut

peanut

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 04:49 AM

My experience is similar to Mary's. The warmer the itchier. I take an antihistamine and that seems to help with the itching. I don't know if its scleroderma or allergies or the world telling me I'd be better off living in a large plastic bubble.

peanut

You can deprive the body but the soul needs chocolate
my HMO makes me wear a helmet...

#9 ErinF

ErinF

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 06:57 AM

Hey Peanut,
I'll go to that plastic bubble with you! I sometimes can't help but wonder about all these autoimmune diseases having been sparked by some allergy or exposure to bacteria or a virus, etc. Especially when so many of us seem to have multiple problems. Since we're all already sick, we should make our own Bubble Community, with hot tubs and saunas in every house, personal massage therapists on demand, doctors who are kind and compassionate, etc. ha ha

ErinF

#10 jaateach

jaateach

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 09:26 AM

oddone,
Hi and yes. I posted a while back about hot head. my head and my torso are warm to touch, and I aslo feel hot, as if I'm running temp, but not only do I not have a fever, but my temp. is running low. Have no idea what this is. There are times even if I'm feeling well, this is going on. Joe

#11 CarriePan

CarriePan

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 12:05 PM

Hi~
I get very warm too. My skin actually feels like it's burning, yet hands and feet are freezing!! I get especially hot in the middle of the night, but I'm assuming it the big M coming on :lol:
I don't think your hubby can contribute his skin temp to that ;)
Take care~ Count me in on that bubble community!!
Carrie
CarriePan :fairy: