Biomarker for Diffuse Scleroderma skin has been discovered!

Photo

Payment For Clinical Trials

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DBHYGRELL

DBHYGRELL

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 11:02 AM

Hi,

Does anyone know if you have to pay in the SCOT trial ie you need insurance approval? Or does the study pay all the costs?

Just wondering,
Denelle

#2 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,275 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 11:45 AM

Hi Denelle,

That's a good question. It's my impression that the patient is usually responsible for paying for the more expensive clinical trials like this, and that occasionally the patient's insurance will cover it. You can inquire directly with the study coordinator:

Scleroderma: Cyclophosphamide or Transplantation?
If you have additional questions about participating in the SCOT study, please contact us at 1-866-909-SCOT or [email protected].

When you find out, will you post the info here? Thanks!
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#3 Gidget

Gidget

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 04:14 AM

I have coverage under 3 health insurance plans. None will cover the SCOT trial as in all cases it is considered "experimental" or "investigational". Check your plan or call your plan administer. In my case, under my plans, stem cell transplants would be covered for other diseases -- just not scleroderma.

The Scot trial is a clinicial trial and considered experimental. Stem cell transplants seem to be covered by most plans for other diseases -- just not scleroderma. Good luck Gidget

#4 TJ903

TJ903

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 09:05 AM

I'm waiting to hear if I made it for the SCOT trial. The bad news is that your insurance has to pay. The good news is that the administrators are really good at convincing insurance companies to pay. At least that's what they told me. They also told me that this was a 'Standard of Care' study as well. Not sure if that carries more weight.

If you are in the trials they will pay for hotel rooms, travelling, etc. They have the info on hand, just call the closest study site. They have limits, but at least you'll get reimbursed for some expenses.

Good luck to you and I hope that everything rolls your way!

Best wishes - TJ

#5 nan

nan

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 02:14 PM

TJ,
I hope that you are able to get into the SCOT trial. My thoughts are with you.
Take Care!
Nan