Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Photo

Auto- Immune Diseases And Autism

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lori-Scleroderma Spouse

Lori-Scleroderma Spouse

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 10:14 AM

I just found out some research that said that children with autism were more likely to have someone in their family with an auto immune disease. I found this very interesting. Most of you know my hubby has diffuse scl and we have a 10 year old with on the autism spectrum.

How many of you have also have autism in your families? There seems to be a strong link on the autism board.

I thought this was very interesting.

Lori
Lori
Scleroderma Spouse

#2 Laura B

Laura B

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 12:42 PM

Wow! :o What a coincidence! I was recently diagnosed with Scleroderma and I have a 13 year old daughter with Autism. Would love to see the info you found!

Gotta run to her softball practice now, but look forward to hearing more about this!

Gentle hugs,

Laura in Atlanta

#3 Margaret

Margaret

Senior Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 12:57 PM

Hi Lori ,

I am the Mom of an 18 years old with Down Syndrome/Autism who has been worked up for sclero the past 7 months...ever since we found his esophagus has stopped working. Right now he is UCTD. The only autoimmune disease that we can come up with on either side of our families is my Dad having rheumatoid arthritis.

Take care, Everyone.
Margaret

#4 americanmike

americanmike

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 06:30 PM

We have a friend of the family who's son has autism. And I've done some research for them. There is an actual foundation for autism and autoimmunity. Can't remember the name, but you could google it and find it.

Autism has lots of physiological symptoms and complications as well as mental. Also there is alot of digestive track inflammation and abnormalities. This type of thing is common in autoimmunity.

Autism and the whole immunization controversy is interesting. Everyone blamed the mercury in the injections but the correlation between autoimmunity and immune system activation after getting immunized is interesting, perhaps suspicious.

And Finally, there are patients stories and doctors who prescribe immunosuppressants for early stage autism. I've read some miracle stories but don't know that much about it.
They seem legit.

Very interesting stuff. Just thought I'd pass on my 2 cents.

Michael in Florida

#5 Lori-Scleroderma Spouse

Lori-Scleroderma Spouse

Bronze Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 08:00 AM

Hi Laura B,

My son has PDD-NOS. Please send me a private message and I will give you the autism forum links and information.
Lori
Scleroderma Spouse

#6 Margaret

Margaret

Senior Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 12:30 PM

Hi, Everyone~~~

You can also send me a private message if you want links to a couple of sites I know about that talk about autism and autoimmune connections.

Margaret