Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Nail Changes In Connective Tissue Diseases: Do Nail Changes Provide Clues For The Diagnosis?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Sherrill_*

• Guests

Posted 03 May 2007 - 05:56 PM

Nail changes in connective tissue diseases: do nail changes provide clues for the diagnosis? Proximal nailfold is the most important site of affection in CTDs. These nail changes can be used in combination with highly sensitive diagnostic modalities to establish an accurate diagnosis. PubMed. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2007 Apr;21(4):497-503. (Also see: Raynaud's Diagnosis and Common Medical Tests)

This item was posted in the ISN Newsroom. Check the Newsroom every day for the latest scleroderma medical and support information. http://www.sclero.org/news/a-to-z.html

#2 ErinF

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 01:52 AM

This is so interesting! My rheumatologist spent a lot of time looking at my nails when I went in for the possible SSc. My nailfold was normal and for him, this meant a lot. However, over the last 2 years I have been having problems with my fingernails themselves--very thin and splitting. I probably should have mentioned this to him. I see him again on June 4th so I think I will. Thanks for posting this!!!

#3 LisaNC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 11:38 AM

My very first inclining that I had a "disease" 20 years ago came from my nail beds. I went to Duke with my array of symptoms to see a dermatologist. He took one look at my nails and said, " My dear, you don't need to see me, you need a rheumatogist." And was absolutely right. My nails do look funky, lots of streaks or lines, and dents. Nothing painful!

#4 kelowna52

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 01:36 PM

Hi to everyone today. This is interresting about nails, my nails look awfull. They are very hard, dry, rippled looking and very rough. And of course my finger tips are always cracked, very painfull. My rheumatologist did that test that they do on the nails and said I had signs of desease activity. So who knows, I don't need any tests done, to tell me, I don't feel well. I read it loud and clear. Have a great day.

Jackie S.