Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Photo

Liver Disease Anyone?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Patty

Patty

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 01:10 AM

I had some blood work done Monday and on Tuesday my doctors office called to tell me my enzymes were high again. Thye wanted to know if I had an appopintment with my GI comeing up and when I said no, they told me I needed to go back to the hospital to get more blood work done. I did this yesterday and now I am waiting for the office to open to get some answeres. I had a liver biopsy last year and I thought my liver was ok. Now I am so confused. Do I have liver disease or not.. sheeeshh I swear its always something with me. Can someone put in terms I can understand what high enzymes mean and ease my mind bcause I am thinking and reading bad stuff and I dont want to get upset for no reason.l

Hugs,
Patty
Hugs,
Patty

If Life hands you lemons, make lemonade.

Hashimoto's thyroiditis, Limited scleroderma, Dermatomyositis. Diastolic Dysfunction, dysphagia, Fibro, restless leg. Lupus is a maybe.

#2 LisaBulman

LisaBulman

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 01:31 AM

Hi Patty,
I have auto immune hepatitis and had a liver biopsy last year as well. When you mentin enzymes are you talking about your liver function numbers?
Hopefully you will get some answers today!
Hugs,
Lisa
Lisa Bulman
(Retired) ISN/SCTC List Coordinator
(Retired) ISN Sclero Forums Assistant Manager
(Retired) ISN Assistant News Guide
(Retired) ISN Fundraiser
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)

#3 relicmom1

relicmom1

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 12:36 PM

Hey Patty,
I have had high "liver chemicals" (SGOT and SGPT) for several years and the only thing the doctors have told me is that they are high and they need to keep a watch on them. My amylase is also high. I have labs every three months at the rheumatologist. Now, they aren't sky high, but higher than normal none the less. I don't drink any alcohol, but I do take a record number of meds. I do worry that one or all of the meds are causing liver damage but, like I said, the doctors don't seem overly concerned. I guess I should push for a better answer, but you know, I get tired of having to push for info all the time ( and at times I just get tired of the whole situation ).....Enough of the pity party. You would think the doctors would want to be more giving with answers......or is it that they don't have any answers......
Peace :)
Barbara aka relicmom1

#4 Clementine

Clementine

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 03:08 PM

Patty,
I just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you and I am hoping you are OK. Please keep us posted. I really want to know when you get the next labs and what the dr. says.
Take Care,
Jennifer

#5 WestCoast1

WestCoast1

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 03:30 PM

Hi Patty,
Yes I have had the Up and Down liver enzymes as well. They are specific to Autoimmune hepititis. I was sent to a GI doctor and had the enzymes tested again....and now the enzymes look fine, SO I really know what this had to do with, but for now I am just happy that the liver is doing okay.

I do not take any medications at the moment as the doctor is waiting to see how I react, so I have to wonder if the medication that I was taking caused the liver enzymes to rise, but I am not sure about that.

It sounds like you have a few things that the Doctors are watching, so maybe they are going to deal with them in order of urgency. Either way, like Jen said, please do let us know how you are and if the new labs give you any answers.
*WestCoast*

#6 whirlway

whirlway

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:01 PM

Patty, do you take any meds for high cholesterol? I took lipitor for a while and ended up withelevated liver enzymes. I stopped taking the lipitor and things went back to normal, high cholesterol and normal liver enzymes. lol I do get tested regularly, usually about every two months. Some meds can cause elevated enzymes, so it sounds like your dr is on the ball and keeping track of things.
I did start taking an otc product for high cholesterol and watch my diet. The last time it was checked, it was down 20 points, so that was good.
Hang in there! Keep us posted.
~whirlway