Jump to content


Congrats to Margaret, Platinum Member with 1,000 posts and 10 Years of Forums Membership!


Photo

Reflux


  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Piper

Piper

    Silver Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Location:Canada

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:09 AM

Hi, I have had GERD for many years but lately I've been having a dickens of a time with it at night. I added more height to my bed and believe it or not I put a hole in my bottom sheet from pushing myself up all night after I'd slid down. I thought that the 40 mg. of Nexium that I was taking a day was the highest dose but I see that Sheryl takes more. Didn't know you could do that so thanks for posting that Sheryl. I will contact my Dr. this week to find out the next step in meds. I wake up constantly with pain in my back from the acid and add that to 50 hot flashes a night and it doesn't add up to much sleep. :( Oh, also the pain on top of it. Well, you all know what I'm talking about. I have a prscription for Celebrex but that would be the icing on the cake for Gerd so I don't bother to take it.
Hugs, Piper

#22 jefa

jefa

    Platinum Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts
  • Location:Scotland

Posted 21 May 2007 - 07:03 AM

I am not a medical professional, but I would caution anyone against increasing the dosage of their prescription medications without the advice of your doctor. It is easy to look around you and see others taking medicines you aren't taking and think, "Hey, I should have that, too!" or see that someone has a different dosage prescribed and wonder whether they should be taking that dosage, too. Many things have to be taken into consideration before a doctor prescribes for us: age, weight, other conditions, interactions with other medications. Please consult your doctor about any changes you want to make in your dosage of a prescription.
Warm wishes,
Jefa

Carrie Maddoux
(Retired)ISN Sclero Forums Support Specialist
(Retired)ISN Sclero Forums UK Chat Host

International Scleroderma Network (ISN)

#23 janey

janey

    Platinum Member

  • ISN Support Specialists
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts
  • Location:New Mexico

Posted 21 May 2007 - 08:24 AM

Great Advice Carrie!
I've had two different prescriptions to stop working or not work. The first one worked great for a year then stopped so I consulted my rheumatologist for another. He gave me Protonix, which @ 2 a day still didn't keep the heartburn under control. Finally, he prescribed two Prilosec a day and that works about 90% of the time. The other 10% of the time, I'm always tempted to take another one, but two is already more than the normal dosage so I have experimented with some stuff and have found a couple of food items that actually settle my stomach until it's time for the next dose.
I guess it's a matter of "keep looking" until you find something that works for you.

Big Hugs,
Janey Willis
ISN Support Specialist
(Retired) ISN Assistant Webmaster
(Retired) ISN News Director
(Retired) ISN Technical Writer for Training Manuals
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)

#24 Piper

Piper

    Silver Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Location:Canada

Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:44 AM

Hi Carrie & Janey, I guess that came out wrong. I would never take anything or increase anything without being told to by the Dr. I just didn't know that they could prescribe more of them. I'm going to call tomorrow and see what he has to say. It's nice to know that when one drug stops working, something else may do the trick.
Take care,
Hugs, Piper

#25 Sweet

Sweet

    Platinum Member

  • Topic Starter
  • ISN Support Specialists
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 11:06 AM

Just an update. First of all I really appreciate every one's input!

I have broken down and have been taking 20 mg of Prilosec per day. It's been helping. There is an natural alternative treatment - someone asked me about it and if you want to PM me I will tell you what it is. I'm waiting to talk with my doctor about it first. Until then I'm taking the prilosec!
Warm and gentle hugs,

Pamela
ISN Support Specialist
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)