Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Photo

Pregnancy & Crest

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kristi

kristi

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 07:43 AM

Has anyone heard if it is o.k. to get pregnant and have children if they have CREST? I have had all organs checked and they are are normal. I am considering whether I should have another baby (first baby was before diagnosis). Can it trigger pulmonary hypertension or make my other symptoms worse?

Kristi

#2 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 08:55 AM

Hi Kristi,

Pregnancy with systemic scleroderma is something you need to discuss with your whole medical team. We have a page on it at:
Pregnancy and Scleroderma

They strongly advise that women with systemic scleroderma (which CREST is) should be counseled by an obstetrician and a rheumatologist BEFORE attempting to get pregnant. Especially if you think you may have pulmonary hypertension, that would be something to get a definite answer on before attempting pregnancy.

They used to say that women with scleroderma should never get pregnant. In recent years they have backed off that advice, for most people, but despite the much rosier outcomes overall than the researchers expected, it is still considered a high risk pregnancy that requires special preparation and monitoring.

One consideration would be what your childcare arrangements would be, should you become sicker. For example, do you have a lot of family and friends nearby who could step in to provide care, should you become bedridden during the pregnancy or in worse health afterwards?

But it's not impossible! So if you're feeling tempted by the idea, start discussions right away, both with your medical team and with your family. Since you are already ill, it would be much more of a team effort for everyone and you would want to attempt it properly and at an opportune time (when the illness is under fairly good control, when your meds have been properly adjusted, since many of our meds cannot be taken during pregnancy. And so forth.)
Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#3 kristi

kristi

Bronze Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 04:44 PM

Thanks for the helpful info. After reading more about it, I don't really think it is a very good idea for so many reasons. I also would not want to knowingly possibly pass on an auto immune disease to my children.

Kristi