Biomarker for Diffuse Scleroderma skin has been discovered!

Photo

Disability

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BettyC

BettyC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 07:20 AM

Hi everyone, after two years of applying for disability, being turned down twice, getting an appeal for a new judge, lots of crying and hoping, I received my letter of approval in the mail this morning! Don't let anyone say you can't get it!! My own lawyer told me I would never get it (isn't she great?) but I told her that she worked for me and I wanted an appeal, she told me I was wasting my time, but I made her do it anyway. I had my second hearing one week ago and received my approval today. I just want to say that if you are trying, never, never, never give up!!!!

I also was wondering from any of you who already receive disability, I know you have to receive it for 2 years before you are eligible for Medicare but does anyone know what date they use to begin the two years?

Also wanted to thank you all for answering my million questions about methotrexate with such patience. I really don't know what I would do without having this site to come to for help.

#2 Heidi

Heidi

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 07:33 AM

Hi Betty,

Congratulations! That is great news. I am so happy that you got approved. I am sure that is a great weight off of your shoulders.

Warm wishes,
Heidi

#3 Guest_Jennifer_*

Guest_Jennifer_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2006 - 10:16 AM

Hi there,
Congrats on being able to take care of yourself from now on! For me, disability started from the last day I worked, which was Sept.7, 05. My Medicare will begin Sept. 2007.
Good luck and get healthier!
Jennifer

#4 AmyZ

AmyZ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 11:56 AM

Betty, I live in Florida and I just got my disability award letter. I only filed 2.5 months ago. My attorney said it was the fastest she has ever seen. I know one of my doctors wrote a letter that was very descriptive.
AmyZ

#5 MaryFanPhilly

MaryFanPhilly

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 10:34 AM

Hi Betty! Many, many good thoughts your way.... I hope they backdated your date of disability so you'll get a nice check. I stopped working in December 2005 and was approved in July 2006, but of course there is a 6 month waiting period so my first check was actually for July 2006. They explained to me that the Medicare will start 24 months from the date of my FIRST CHECK, NOT the date of my disability, which will mean July 2008. It stinks, I know. I am fortunate in that I am still covered under my former employer. Sometimes good things do happen, dearie, I know how it feels! Love, Mary in Philly
Diffuse sclero; diabetes; hypertension; GERD with Barrett's

#6 heddy

heddy

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 01:01 PM

Hello,

I live in Australia and I was just saying to my husband, who was complaining of how much tax was taken out of his wage, how fortunate we out that our tax dollars go to such a good use in Australia.

Every body in Australia is eligible for medicare. If you are on a government benefit of some sort and you meet the income test you also recieve a health care card which makes you eligible to recieve medicine at a greatly reduced cost, most of my medicine cost me $4.70.

I also now see how fortunate I was to claim a disability support pension, it took me two months, with no lawyers needed. My Social security office actually suggested to me that I should be on it.

I am very glad your battle to recieve Disability has been succesful.

I have limited Scl, with rheumatoid arthritis also.

heddy

#7 Guest_Jennifer_*

Guest_Jennifer_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2006 - 01:11 PM

Mary's makes sense...I was sick and diagnosed in Mar 05, kept my job six more months until Sept. 05, got my first check on that date, and now am waiting the 24 months required for Medicare. My disability process was a piece of cake too. I went through it in the State of Colorado and it took just over one month.
I wish you luck!
Jennifer

#8 LisaBulman

LisaBulman

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 03:17 PM

Hi Betty,
Great news!! Congrats!! My disability took a while to approved as well, but not as long as yours. I was out of work for about a year before I even filed for it. So by the time it was approved I was offered a back pay check, which was pretty nice, as well as Medicare benefits.

Good luck with your new benefits!

Hugs,
Lisa
Lisa Bulman
(Retired) ISN/SCTC List Coordinator
(Retired) ISN Sclero Forums Assistant Manager
(Retired) ISN Assistant News Guide
(Retired) ISN Fundraiser
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)