Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Photo

Rituximab Therapy For Scleroderma?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 americanmike

americanmike

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 06:24 PM

I have been reading about Rituximab therapy and trials on Lupus patients and Arthritis patients. It seems really promising, and some people have kept their autoimmune disease in remission for 7 years or more.

But not too much on Scleroderma and Rituximab.

Perhaps people can mention it to their rheumies and see what they say???

It just seems like it's ignored when it might be really effective and safer than Cytoxan (no doctor here just repeating what I've read in Lupus trials)

#2 Elehos

Elehos

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 04:11 AM

Hi Mike,

I'll be heading to a rheumatologist (finally!!) in July, and was actually reading an article yesterday on Rituximab, which certainly caught my attention. I have OA and lupus, so at least if something can control two conditions, it should help ease up the problems with the sclero. If the rheumatologist says he thinks it's worthwhile, I'll keep everyone posted on the results. As a note of warning here though, I do tend to be sensitive to a lot of meds, so if my results aren't great, please don't consider it a failure--it's just the way my body is.

Best wishes to you and your family,
Elehos

#3 Shelley Ensz

Shelley Ensz

Root Administrator

• ISN Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 05:46 AM

Hi Mike,

It's a fair enough question. At the moment, there is an FDA Health Advisory out for Rituximab, which we have posted in our main Medications: Rheumatic section.

FDA has received reports of the death of two patients who were treated with Rituxan for systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE). Both patients developed a life-threatening viral infection of the brain. U.S. Food and Drug Administration 12/18/06.

Part of the FDA warning says, "Rituxan is approved for use only in patients with certain types of cancer called non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma and for rheumatoid arthritis when other treatments have failed. Rituxan is not approved for the treatment of SLE."

Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz
Founder and President
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)
Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

#4 Elehos

Elehos

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 10:20 AM

Hi Shelley,

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!! Guess I'll be asking about it, but perhaps just on an informational basis for others. There are others on the board with SLE, so this link is important for us to keep in mind.

Best wishes to you,

Elehos