Congrats to Margaret, Platinum Member with 1,000 posts and 10 Years of Forums Membership!

Photo

Does Anyone Else Have Allergies/asthma?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Elehos

Elehos

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 10:42 AM

Hi Y'all,

Guess I'm yappy this week. While on hold with my rheumatologist's secretary, there was a blurb about untreated allergies often causing self-allergies, or CTD's. There's probably info in the medical section, but I'm curious how many have either been diagnosis'ed or have suspected allergies along the way.

Somehow I always wondered if my immune system went haywire from the allergy shots I was taking for almost 10 years, especially since the OA and Raynaud's developed during that time (apparent by age 12), frequent sharp nerve pain in the skin and carpal tunnel-like symptoms in the wrists by age 8, and although I went off the shots at almost age 15, the lupus was already lurking below the surface and showed up soon afterwards (age 16). The shots worsened my allergies, but being a child, I wasn't given a choice. Once off the shots, the allergies did improve extraordinarily, but unfortunately the rest hasn't. The sclero symptoms turned up after my second spinal fusion though, so maybe that particular CTD doesn't tend to have any, or at least less, of a relation to allergies.

This is just a curiosity, not that allergies will cause problems for everyone, but I do wonder if anyone else seemed to notice any connection between allergies and developing CTD's.

Best wishes to everyone,

Elehos

#2 peanut

peanut

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 10:50 AM

Hey Elehos,
I have allergies and asthma but never had shots. I never liked shots. But thanks to monthly labs I've gotten better.

peanut

You can deprive the body but the soul needs chocolate
my HMO makes me wear a helmet...

#3 Elehos

Elehos

Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 10:57 AM

Hi Peanut,

So much for not liking shots! ;) Now the labs make up for all those needles. UGH!

#4 Clementine

Clementine

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 11:38 AM

I had allergy shots as a child, for several years. I do not seem to have any unusual allergies these days, just on ocassion I'll get an allergy to something but nothing I need to treat.

The only allergy I know I have is to Sulfa drugs.

For whatever that's worth, thought I would chime in.
Jennifer

#5 kramer57

kramer57

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 03:39 AM

Hi Elehos,

I started having trouble with wheezing, coughing and difficulty breathing in 2000; I was living in a house with a lot of black mold at the time. I have smoked for 20 yr. too. The doctors said it was asthma. Another doctor called it "chronic Bronchitis". I've been on inhalers since 2000. Also started having allergies since 2000(sneezing, stuffy / runny nose). That's what the doctors say anyway, I've never had allergy tests.
Trouble swallowing & acid reflux started in 1994, 6 yr. before the lung problems. Diagnosed with Scleroderma this year. Still don't know if my lung problems are just "asthma" or chronic bronchitis or emphysema or fibrosis or what. Someday I hope to get insurance and a doctor that will order a pft.
Karen

#6 Elehos

Elehos

Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 05:25 AM

Hi to everyone!

Thanks for the replies--and sorry it took a while to get back to the board. I've been noticing how a lot of my lupus flares in particular seem to be strongly allergy driven, and while on allergy shots my body was always haywire. There are still some allergies kicking here and there, mold being a killer, but even without the intense allergic reactions from the years on shots, there's still a lot going on behind the scenes it appears. Just wondered if allergies tend to be common, and if they preceded or turned up with the diagnosis of sclero or lupus in others. The rheumatologist I'm going to is in an allergy clinic, so this should be helpful! Thanks again to all for the replies, and hope that you have great days ahead with the summer coming, and enjoy each and every one to the fullest!

Best wishes,
Elehos