Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Why Does The Fat Disappear?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jordan's Mommy

Jordan's Mommy

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 02:43 PM

Does anyone know what it is about linear morphea/scleroderma that makes the fat go away? My 6 year old's arm is getting noticeably thinner on her affected limb--when she flexes her arm muscles, the fat appears to be all but gone! Her skin is slightly sunken as well, but it is still very soft. Also, a very long vein running down her arm is VERY visible--maybe since the fat is no longer covering it?? I try not to make a big deal out of her illness, but she is starting to ask questions about the physical changes she has noticed for herself. It breaks my heart in so many ways because she is such a kind and gentle soul.

#2 Margaret

Senior Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 02:55 PM

Hi Jennifer ,

I don't know if it is fat disappearing or what. Gareth doesn't have the skin issues but his collar bone sticks out so far now.....it's like he's got these two hard boney spurs sticking out. He's lost 20 pounds, but even skinny people don't have bones sticking out like his. It's like all the skin has been pulled down from his neck area towards the inside of his body.....weird looking.

Take care, Everyone.

#3 WestCoast1

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 04:56 PM

I am so sorry to about your daughters morphea. It must be hard to watch her change and not be sure what the outcome will be. I found a few things on the ISN that might be of some help.

I included a portion of an article listed below. This doesn't meant that these things will happen to your daughter, but it gives an explaination of why the morphea has involved the deep dermis and subcutaneous fat. I also read another article about adolecent scleroderma where topical cortosteroids were used and successful in the treatment.

"Linear morphea includes the en coup de sabre and Parry-Romberg variants (see Image 2). It often qualifies as deep morphea (albeit in a linear pattern), involving the deep dermis, subcutaneous fat, muscle, bone and even underlying meninges and brain.

Deep morphea, also referred to as subcutaneous morphea or morphea profunda, primarily involves the subcutaneous fat and underlying structures such as fascia (see Image 4). Variants of deep morphea include eosinophilic fasciitis and disabling pansclerotic morphea of children."