Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

What Constitutes A "flare" For You?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 barefut

Platinum Member

• Bloggers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 05:33 PM

I've been feeling pretty good for months. Then my hair started falling out more than usual, hands puffing up again, weight gain, IBS back, the tendon friction rub and now my joints are stiffening up again. All just in time for vacation! yay. :angry:

*sigh* :(

#2 peanut

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 06:35 PM

Sorry to hear. Hugs!
Yeah I'm finding scleroderma is full of flare-ups and was wondering if it was like that with any one else. One week my eyes are dry as sandpaper the next they're fine. Same with my swallowing issues. For a while there I thought I'd be living on applesauce. Lately my cough has been violent and viscous. I'm hoping its just flare.

Don't let this get you down. Have a great holiday

You can deprive the body but the soul needs chocolate
my HMO makes me wear a helmet...

#3 Elehos

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 01:22 PM

Hi Barefut,

I get mild flares every month, a bit more hair falls out than usual, joint/muscle pain and stiffness, weakness, fatigue, usually with a slight fever, etc., but the "biggies" are more like a slow train coming. It starts with a rash, and if it lasts only a couple of weeks, that's a good sign; when it's there for a month, then I get slammed. About a month or two later, one of my eyes get's a lovely pinkeye appearance for about another month, and it either waters or feels dry, depending upon it's mood. The third symptom is about a month or two after that ends, landing me in bed for days on end with flu-like symptoms of high fever, killer body pain, and lung problems. It's a 4 to 6 month cycle whenever these flares hit, and it used to be one big flare every other year, but I've had two in the past year.

However, today I was outside enjoying the sun, although a week ago I couldn't move my right leg at all. So unpredictable! At least some good days are hitting again, and after the past year and a half, they are SOOOO welcome.

Take care lady, and hope your tendons will leave you alone at some point, or a doctor can help you out.

#4 pattitx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 09:26 AM

My flares always start with my eye twitching. What's horrible is that once my eye starts twitching then I know I stress out because I KNOW that it's coming. Then I usually get fever blisters, then all my joints start aching, hair starts falling out (can't afford to lose much more), then here comes my stomach and intestines right after that. It's just lovely.

I can already forecast the weather with my bones.