Jump to content

Hang onto your hat: Sclero Forums Upgrade May 14-21, 2017!! The Forums will be offline for up to 4 days, and then will return with an entirely new look and feel.


Need Advice

  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rachelle


    Senior Bronze Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 01:20 PM

I have an appointment with my general doctor on Fri. What blood tests should I ensure that I get that helps determine whether or not I have Sclero? I just want to make sure if he misses something I can suggest it. Also, if he has no idea, then I will go elsewhere. Thanks!!!

#2 Sweet


    Platinum Member

  • ISN Support Specialists
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 09:19 AM


Great question. Here is a link to the antibodies that can help make a diagnosis. Spend some time on this link and you'll be better prepared for Friday's appt.

Good Luck!

Warm and gentle hugs,

ISN Support Specialist
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)

#3 janey


    Platinum Member

  • ISN Support Specialists
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts
  • Location:New Mexico

Posted 25 June 2007 - 10:26 AM

Sweet provided a great link to our antibodies page. The first link "auto-antibody patterns" provides the information on which antibodies are specific to scleroderma. However, let me stress that a blood test does not prove that you do or do not have scleroderma. If it comes up positive, then yes - there is a high likelihood that you do. So the rheumatologist will take those results, your symptoms and other test results to make the diagnosis. I have a negative scl-70, but I definitely have systemic scleroderma. due to my symptoms and other tests results. So the bloodtests are great indicators, but do not necessarily "diagnose".

Big Hugs,
Janey Willis
ISN Support Specialist
(Retired) ISN Assistant Webmaster
(Retired) ISN News Director
(Retired) ISN Technical Writer for Training Manuals
International Scleroderma Network (ISN)

#4 WestCoast1


    Gold Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 06:32 PM

Hello Rachelle,
I would also suggest a full auto antibody lab. This covers all of the autoimmune illnesses that could be affecting you at this point. Some autoimmune illneses can overlap and they can also identify what subset of disease you are dealing with and what organ it could effect.

Like Janey and Sweet suggested, even if your labs are positive your doctor has to weigh those with your current symptoms. Unlike Janey, my Scl-70 is positive, however I have no skin involvment so that leaves me with a diagnosis of MCTD. So you really have to have a trusting relationship with your rheumatologist to come up with a correct diagnosis in order to treat you properly.