Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Photo

Protein Shakes - Meal Replacements

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sharonvandee

Sharonvandee

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 12:26 PM

Hey

Was just wondering if anyone who suffers from GERD and dysphagia uses a protein shake/supplement to increase their nutritional intake.

As this disease progresses I am finding that more and more foods set of severe heart burn that keeps me up for hours after eating, the morning cup of tea is enough to start the morning off so I am looking at maybe starting on protein powder and giving the system a break for a bit maybe even let it heal a little.

Problem is I thought I read somewhere that high protein diets are not a good idea if you suffer scleroderma because of the damage the disease can do to the kidneys.

Any advice welcome - pm me if needed
Kindest Regards

Sharon

Diagnosis Scleroderma-crest, Scolliosis, Asthma, ILD, Plueral Fibrosis, GERD, Hiatus hernia, Anticardiolipin positive, ANA positive

a little bent and broken and almost beyond repair!

#2 Elehos

Elehos

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 02:08 PM

Hi again Sharon!

I was going to mention this in the PM, but it slipped my mind somehow. Last year I had to go completely vegan since dairy was now causing far too many problems, but until then I was using a whey powder and making my morning milkshake or hot cocoa. They come in different flavors and are naturally sweet, and for quite a while I probably would have starved without it seeing solid food wouldn't go down.

As far as the amount of protein you should eat per meal or day, discuss that with your doctor, especially since whey powder has a whopping 30 grams per 1/8 cup. I ended up with kidney pain whenever I got more than 15 grams at a time, but last year my kidneys were doing a jig quite frequently to start. Much better this year!

There are also many "veggie" milks, and I've found that the vitamin enriched fat-free soymilk is very good, and even my very carnivorous husband prefers it to cow's milk in many things I cook. It has about 6 grams of protein per 8 oz, not to mention calcium and vitamin D, but always check the label to make sure it's the enriched one. Almond milk is very good and rice milk is great when you need something that won't overpower another flavor, but doesn't have much protein; only 1 gram per 8 oz. You can always read the labels, jot down the info, and then discuss everything with your doctor before buying anything just to make sure it's ok.

I hope this can help out, and it's good that you're watching out for your kidneys!

Best wishes to you,
Elehos