Congrats to Margaret, Platinum Member with 1,000 posts and 10 Years of Forums Membership!

Gastric Antral Vascular Ectasia (GAVE) Associated With Systemic Sclerosis: Relapse After Endoscopic Treatment By Argon Plasma Coagulation

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Sherrill_*

Guest_Sherrill_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2007 - 02:43 PM

Gastric antral vascular ectasia (GAVE) associated with systemic sclerosis: relapse after endoscopic treatment by argon plasma coagulation. This case showed resistance to endoscopic treatment using argon plasma coagulation (APC). In spite of GAVE eradication by APC, a third recurrence of GAVE was observed after 32 months. PubMed. Intern Med. 2007;46(6):279-83. (Also see: Watermelon Stomach (GAVE))

This item was posted in the ISN Newsroom. Check the Newsroom every day for the latest scleroderma medical and support information. http://www.sclero.org/news/a-to-z.html

#2 nan

nan

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 11:02 AM

Thanks for doing this link. I have GAVE and just recently received my 2nd and final argon treatment for it as long as I don't bleed again.
Nan

#3 Margaret

Margaret

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 11:32 AM

Nan ,

Man....that would mke me so depressed and I don't even have GAVE!!! It sounds like it's chronic and can't be cured/eliminated. Will you have to have an endoscopy every 3-4 months for the rest of your life? Is it painful.....do you know when you're bleeding inside your stomach? Got Gareth here to think about!!!

Take care, Everyone.
Margaret

#4 nan

nan

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 03:19 PM

Margaret,
At this point I don't have to do anything unless I bleed. I just had my hemoglobin checked. I hope it's ok. It doesn't hurt to bleed. I can usually tell because I get restless leg syndrome and can't sleep. I also get very irritable. The first GI bleed I was having trouble walking. That time my hemoglobin was 6.1. It's supposed to be 12. Last time it just went down to 7.4 and I just felt really tired and my legs were killing me. Does Gareth have watermelon stomach? I hope not.
Take Care!
Nan

#5 Margaret

Margaret

Platinum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 01:03 AM

Hi Nan ,

No, Gareth doesn't have watermelon stomach and his hemoglobin is on the high side. He is scheduled Aug 9th for another endoscopy to find out why he's in so much pain and has this 'hard stomach' .......as he puts it. His rheumatologist thinks that maybe it has nothing to do with his 'insides' but is probably rib/sternum pain from the scleroderma itself.

Take care, Everyone.
Margaret