Biomarker for Diffuse Scleroderma skin has been discovered!

Photo

My Toes Are Numb

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Clementine

Clementine

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 04:29 AM

Hello....
I am sitting here worried about Barefut and her COBRA situation and feel so petty for worrying about a foot....

My toes are numb on one foot. Is this Raynauds acting up? I don't feel cold and I am not white, blue, purple or orange...LOL. Is this typical?

xo,
Jen

#2 WestCoast1

WestCoast1

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 05:27 AM

Hi Jen,
I have numb toes once in a while. Mine comes from sciatic nerve problems. Inflamation and pain in the hip area that travel down the legs and cause numbing is what causes my toes and feet to be numb.

Is this what yours feels like?
*WestCoast*

#3 Clementine

Clementine

Gold Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 05:44 AM

Erin,
It's weird, they are still numb and that's it....no other sensation!
Strange.
Jen

#4 Elehos

Elehos

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 06:29 AM

Hi Jennifer,

Does the numbness change at all, depending upon whether or not you've been on your feet, sitting, or laying down for a while? I've had spinal problems for decades, and everything from pinched nerves due to body postition to herniated discs can cause the numbness. I would get it checked out since there are more possibilities with having sclero, and it's not good to blow it off. For far too long I did that, and it was quite a shock to find out in the end that there was more going on than just a small nuisance like numb toes.

Barefut,

If you're reading this, DSS here in NY will quite often give you Medicaid in medical emergencies, but I don't know about the laws where you live. It's also a nuisance at times when you have to track down an estranged husband to sign (it's different once divorced), but it's worth it--especially with the cost of meds and health insurance. Are there other health plans available where you live? NYS also has Child Health/Family Health Plus, ValuMed, etc., and they work on a sliding scale fee, but all the states vary on plans and/or coverage. I hope that things get resolved quickly for you!

Best to both of you,

Elehos

#5 summer

summer

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 07:43 PM

Hi Jennifer,
I just had a visit with my rheumatologist and mentioned to him that I get numb toes from time to time. I developed Raynauds about 3 months ago but only on my feet do they usually only turn white and blue. When my toes are numb I have no colour change at all, I have even had a hot shower to try and revive them, but it doesn't help. They only come back to life when I really rub or massage them. My rheumatologist did say that numbness is a part of Raynauds and he prescribed me Nifedipine which he wants me to take over the cold months. It is winter here in Australia.
I am reluctant to take it as I am not on any meds at the moment, and am trying not to go down that path :blink: , not yet anyway!.
Hope this helps
Celia

#6 Clementine

Clementine

Gold Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 03:00 AM

Celia,
Thanks for asking the Dr. on behalf of both of us! I take Procardia XL, which is the same thing your Dr. prescribed. The XL means it is time released. I take on 30mg in the AM and on in the PM. I take it year round. It's really helped me.
I understand not wanting to take more pills. I tried Niacin and that didn't work.
I hope you feel better and got a good report at the Dr.
xo
Jen

#7 bloominacres

bloominacres

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 05:13 AM

Hi all,
I haven't been on for awhile but was going to post about numb toes and saw this entry so thought I would post here. 3 toes on my right foot went numb Sunday evening and it has now traveled to my heel. All still numb. No pain thank goodness and the color and temp are fine. Anyone else get this? Should I be concerned? No answer yet from the doctors office, left a message yesterday.

PS I do have Raynauds and take prazosin twice a day. Does not feel like Raynauds.

Take care
Mary

#8 peanut

peanut

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 07:27 AM

Sorry Jen about your Toes. I think they're just trying to get your attention because they want a fabulous pedicure. Just kidding. Perhaps its a pinched nerve?

peanut

You can deprive the body but the soul needs chocolate
my HMO makes me wear a helmet...

#9 Clementine

Clementine

Gold Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 08:33 AM

Peanut,
Yes, my husband thinks it's a pinched nerve too. I've never had one so I didn't even think about that. I am sure it's from wearing the wrong shoes.
I am not worried anymore.
Thanks!
Jen

#10 sophie

sophie

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 03:45 AM

Hi Jen,

I am newly diagnosed with CREST/Limited. My 2 outer toes on my left foot are always numb and have been for about a year. My little toe on my right foot has started to become numb as well. I blamed it on a pinched nerve as well, until the right side started to go numb. I now believe that it is part of the SD.

All the best,
Spanky