Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Thalidomide Proposed To Shut Off Scleroderma

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TJ903

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 07:43 AM

My Aunt does alot of research for me and came across this article. Thalidomide Proposed to Shut Off Scleroderma, Candidates Sought. If anyone has info. or wants a contact name and number PM me. Any other information is really appreciated! Good Vibes going out the everyone.

I'm asking because my insurance said a big, fat NO to SCOT. Thank agains!!

#2 Guest_Sherrill_*

• Guests

Posted 08 July 2007 - 11:28 AM

The ISN website has some info on Thalidomide for scleroderma:

On the Scleroderma Clinical Trials: Positive Results page:

Enrollment closed. Positive initial results from 2000, larger study needed.
T cell immunity in collagen biosynthesis of scleroderma This project studies the immune modulatory effects of the drug thalidomide on the fibrosis of scleroderma. New York University School of Medicine.

This item has an interesting PDF file about the trial. You will need Acrobat Reader to read it. The doctor concerned is Dr. Stephen J Oliver, and you may be able to write to him to find out more if you are interested.

The webpage Medications for Scleroderma has this item:

Thalidomide as an immunotherapeutic agent: the effects on neutrophil-mediated inflammation. Thalidomide has been rediscovered as an immuno-modifying drug. These findings shed new light on the anti-inflammatory properties of thalidomide and suggested that they may inhibit granulocyte-mediated tissue injury. PubMed. Curr Pharm Des. 2005;11(3):395-401.

I hope this helps.

Warm hugs,