Do you want up to date information about Scleroderma? Check out our Medical pages at www.sclero.org for all your Scleroderma questions!

Photo

Bleeding Gums

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 scampie5

scampie5

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:51 AM

Does any one have gums that bleed I only have to touch my back tooth with the tooth brush and it bleeds really bad just pours out and is quite worrying I have at the moment managed to stop it with salt mouth wash but it takes awhile and I worry that it might start when I am a sleep but in saying that ( touch wood) when I eat it doesn't bleed very strange and that inludes eating meat not quite sure what to do and if I need to see a dentist with knowledge of Scleorderma any advice please Lynn

#2 WestCoast1

WestCoast1

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:37 AM

Hi there Lynn,
I was wodering if your dr ever mentioned Sjogrens, or if you had symptoms of Sjogrens. I have heard of gum related issues that arise from dry mouth. The dentist should be aware that you have a connective tissue dissorder especially when you are having such a hard time with them. This way he/she will give you advice that helps the souce of the problem, not just mask the symptom.

Here is a link to the ISN that gives you an overview of dental issues associated with Scleroderma and other related autoimmune illnesses.
http://www.sclero.or...html#xerostomia
*WestCoast*

#3 Elehos

Elehos

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 10:20 AM

Hi Lynn,

I had bleeding and swelling around one of my molars on and off for almost a year, and although my dentist said everything was fine, even on the x-rays, it began several months before a flare and let up several months afterwards. The gums would actually pull away from the tooth slightly during this period, come to think of it, which probably added to the trouble seeing it would be easy for food to get in there. It has been a year now without any trouble, but I would certainly check with a dentist to find out what is going on, and an infection in the gums can cause serious health problems. It sounds like you're doing the right thing in the meantime with the salt, but please make an appointment with your dentist.

Best wishes to you,

Elehos

#4 peanut

peanut

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 10:31 AM

Here are a few thoughts....
I've read that you can control gum bleeding by applying pressure directly on the gums with a gauze pad soaked in ice water.

Do you floss? You might want to try flossing everyday, which will strengthen the health of your gums and the bleeding should lessen. Try brushing gently with a soft bristle brush. If you smoke you may consider taking a break. Also you might want to consider calling your dentist, as this could be a sign of periodontal disease.

Sometimes the cause may not be dental related, like a vitamin deficiency. Take a look at your meds list since the side effects of some medications might include gum bleeding.

Sorry I’m a bit teeth obsessive, but I hope this helps

The toothy peanut

You can deprive the body but the soul needs chocolate
my HMO makes me wear a helmet...

#5 nan

nan

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 03:33 PM

I have Scleroderma & Sjogren's and have many dental problems. I floss at least 3 times daily. I would see your dentist and he might recommend that you go to a periodontist. If your gums are diseased the periodontist can clean them. He does a section at a time. Definitely get it checked out because you don't want to mess around with gum disease. Let us know how it goes.
Nan

#6 scampie5

scampie5

Silver Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:40 AM

Thank you all so much for suggestions of what this might be I will look into the Sjogrens it can be quite scary whe loosing blood I will let you know how I get on many thanks hugs Lynn