Biomarker for Diffuse Scleroderma skin has been discovered!

Photo

Adoption, Is It An Option...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 HeatherT

HeatherT

Senior Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:42 AM

Hi-
I am about to investigate how to go about adopting a child. I know some countries will not allow you to adopt a child if one of the parents has been diagnosed with lupus. I was wondering if anyone could direct me to a resource that would have information on countries' health restrictions for international adoptions.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Heather

#2 Elehos

Elehos

Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 09:02 AM

Hi Heather,

I sent you a PM with a link, so if you're not logged in you won't see it. I do wish you the best on this!

Hugs to you,
Elehos

#3 nan

nan

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 09:15 AM

Heather,
My son is adopted, but I adopted him before I was diagnosis with scleroderma. All I know is that when we adopted him both parents had to be 40 or younger. We adopted 15 years ago this fall. If I find out anything I wll let you know.
Take Care!
Nan

#4 Nelly

Nelly

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 11:15 AM

I've looked into international adoptions. China, I believe, is the strictest regarding health issues. They want a clean bill of health and have weight restrictions. Other countries are requiring a medical evaluation be done, but don't specify what would happen if you had a chronic illness.

To be honest, I got overwhelmed by it all and decided to put things on hold for now.

I wish you all the best!
Nelly

#5 Clementine

Clementine

Gold Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 01:07 PM

Heather,
I tried to research for you and it was too much...my ######. My sister is looking to adopt. I am going to email her and see if she has a reputable website or some information. When I googled, I read a lot about China and it was not so encouraging, and I got to overwhelmed too. I would think there is a phone number that you could call to get instant answers. I will keep trying. I wish you the best.
Jennifer

#6 Patty

Patty

Senior Silver Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 01:46 PM

Heather,

I am adopting in the next few weeks. Everyone knows I am ill and its ok. I just need a letter from my Dr saying I am not going to pass awayin the next few years. As soon as the letter is sent, probate is to be called and a date set for the adoption.

I am sure each state has different guildlines for this so I would suggest that maybe calling your local DCF office ( department of children and families), or even probate court and see what they say.

Best of luck on ths new venture!!

Hugs,
Patty
Hugs,
Patty

If Life hands you lemons, make lemonade.

Hashimoto's thyroiditis, Limited scleroderma, Dermatomyositis. Diastolic Dysfunction, dysphagia, Fibro, restless leg. Lupus is a maybe.

#7 HeatherT

HeatherT

Senior Bronze Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 01:19 PM

Thanks so much for the info and all the support. I will be sure to update everyone on this process as I go through it.

Heather